Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I have several MP3 players, mostly Creative models. I'm happy with the players, but not with the bundled software or with using Windows Media Player, Winamp, etc.

Are there any good apps out there, freeware or otherwise, that I can obtain to manage my players? Preferably, they wouldn't freeze in the middle of transfers or give obscure error messages. Even better would be software that would allow me to create a database of the files on the players.

I used to use Notmad Explorer for my Creative Nomad Zen Xtra (or whatever order those words are in), but Red Chair Software disappeared and I could not reinstall the product when I had to. Creative Centrale is too buggy for my tastes, WMP and CC both freeze at inopportune times and Winamp simply doesn't work for me after multiple installations.

Please let me know if you know of any good programs out there that handles MP3 players, period. Thanks in advance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I really don't have any recommendations for you, but I thought I would let you know how I handle MP3 devices; perhaps that will give you some ideas on alternatives.

I have an 8GB Sansa, a really old Pocket PC (with a 1GB SD card) and an Android phone (with a 8GB mini SD card). I wrote a PowerShell script that copies random MP3 files based on rating. I usually copy the files to a temporary location on my hard drive and then use Explorer to drag-and-drop the files to the players (or to their SD cards). I don't care that much for playlists because I use shuffle play all the time, but I did find a .NET app that builds Sansa playlists and do use that but hardly ever use the playlists it generates. I keep all of my MP3s is a special location that I never let any software (WMP, iTunes, Winamp, etc) access - I hate it when such software thinks it owns the files and insists that it knows better than me on how those files should be handled. Yeah, it takes extra disk space, but at today's disk prices, who cares?

Thanks
    vt10002, Welcome to The Lounge.
    This is a good program http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli2/files/ or get it by installing K Lite Codec Pack (any version)
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use MediaMonkey. Handles any media player AFAIK, and it's free.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using WinAmp for my Sansa player and my ipod for years.
    It works great for both and even has specific plug-ins for most players.

Don

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions. I have a couple of programs to try out now.

One point, though, is that I've had problems with Winamp in the last couple of editions. It doesn't seem to recognize my MP3 players. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling one more time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's MediaMonkey for me as well..!!

Regards

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Red Chair Software is here: http://www.redchairsoftware.com/

IMHO Anapod Explorer is still the best app for the iPod. Foobar 2000 has an excellent plugin for the iPod (foo_dop) but AFAIK nothing for Creative players.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    one of the best free ones i have found is COWON Media Center - jetAudio never had a file it can not play and the sound is great if you want more you can buy it as well.I have the paid version but found that the free one is just as good.

I have been using it for about three years and never had a problem with it.
    There are so many out there the best you can do is play around with them and find the one you like and ease of use for your media type

good luck and have fun out there on the big bad web

nigel

New Lounger
    Thanks
    VLC media Player plays anything.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try j river media jukebox version 12 (Their FREE version) which handles only music files:

http://www.mediajukebox.com/

or j river media center (not FREE but has free trial) which handles many different types of media including graphics, television, and video:

http://www.jriver.com/

http://www.jriver.com/download.html

Here is what they say:
    Media Center Audio, Video, Images, & Television
    It's the best software available for media. Play your media wherever you are.
    Media Center is
    More than a world class player. It's also a Media Network, a whole house music, movie, TV, and photo solution.
    The leader in audiophile quality sound.
    The most powerful media database available; an essential tool for large collections
    An endless source of satisfaction for tweakers and developers
    Media Center plays
    More file formats than any other player
    Connected media from Last.fm, Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube. And it sends to Flickr, Facebook, and Twitter.
    Supports more cell phones, MP3 players, DLNA, and other devices
    Powers an HTPC to entertain your family. Even different playback in multiple zones.
    And
    It can record high definition TV, and provide a replacement for cable TV. It has a Theater View interface, controllable by a Media Center Remote, an iPad, iPhone, Android, a Windows netbook or Touchscreen. MC is a DirectShow player.
    Obsessive taggers will be delighted with cover art and metadata options. And MC backs up your work so you can sleep at night. Until MC wakes you up again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another vote for Media Monkey. It also syncs to mass storage devices. And its the only one that I'm aware of that can rip from Sony DRM enabled CDs. I am not advocating using this feature for anything but personal use. I have one CD that has this DRM on it (Bela Fleck and Flecktones' "Ten from Little Worlds"), and it was nice to finally have a copy of it in my MP3 collection.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you get these to work with an Ipod? I tried Winamp with my daughters Ipod Shuffle and we just get a message that we need to use ITunes, which I hate and don't want to use.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In regards to your difficulties installing WinAmp, you can try setting up a new Administrator account. Sign out out of your usual User Account and sign in to the new Administrator's account and try installing it for all users within that account. Could be you have something in your usual User Account that's causing a conflict and this is an easy work around

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I have been using aTuses for some time now and have been happy with it. It's a free program available here : http://www.atunes.org/

Basic info - aTunes is a full-featured audio player and manager, developed in Java programming language, so it can be executed on different platforms: Windows, Linux and Unix-like systems, ...

Currently plays mp3, ogg, wma, wav, flac, mp4 and radio streaming, allowing users to easily edit tags, organize music and rip Audio CDs.

RDR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast