Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I am creating several (limited) user accounts on one of my computers (Win XP Pro SP3). Because of the requirements of a certain internet application that each user will need to access, I need to set the security and other Internet Options settings for each user's IE8 to specific values. I do not want to open up each user's IE8 and make the changes manually, if possible.

Ideally, the IE8 Internet Options settings are stored in a file somewhere for each user, and I could just copy one file and put it in the right place for each user. Does anyone have any suggestions for replicating these IE8 settings? (I searched all over the place and could not find a description of how the settings are saved.)

Thanks for the help.

Dave

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    The IE settings are saved in the registry per user. You could export the registry key for a user (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer) and merge the exported files to each user.

Note: to test on a new user I recommend you export the new user's registry key. Then delete the key and import/merge the file from your "master" user. You need to delete the new user key because regedit merges information. Test the new user to make sure IE acts the way you wish.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. Sorry for taking so long to get back. I stilll need to import IE8 or IE9 settings to my limited users, but I am not confident about editing the registry. Are there any tools to do this task that you can think of?

Thanks,
    Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    Use the XP registry editor to export the key. When you export from the registry it will create a file of the export key. Then on the target PC, logon as the new user and just double click the file. That should start the registry merge.

Joe