Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't even know there was a 'see more results' link in the search results window till I downloaded your bonus Chapter 3. All I have is 'search everywhere' which tries to open the default browser which gives a cannot connect type message. I just thought that Win 7 search was lousy. My husband has the identical computer and we both upgraded to Window 7 home the same day and he has 'see other results'.

If I search from a Library I do get a persistent window so I can at least get somewhere, but I still do not have the left side Menus.

I have seen similar problems on forums, but I have not seen that much of anything solves the problem.

I have tried to create a new user called Everyone, sworn to fix the problem. Did not work.

I re-indexed my files. I have graphics, embroidery digitizing, and photos. Guess how long that took! That did not work.

I did a clean boot and eliminated start-up and services a few at a time. This took a long time, but even with all the services off, I still do not have the see more results link.

Google search keeps turning up the same incidents, but no fix. Searching the Windows site turns up hundreds of thousands of 'possible' entries, but only one of twenty seems to even pertain to Start menu search.

I think I am getting shrill. Please help! Windows Secrets helped set me on this quest, I hope you can solve it.

Phyllis

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis Driggs View Post
    I didn't even know there was a 'see more results' link in the search results window till I downloaded your bonus Chapter 3. All I have is 'search everywhere' which tries to open the default browser which gives a cannot connect type message. I just thought that Win 7 search was lousy. My husband has the identical computer and we both upgraded to Window 7 home the same day and he has 'see other results'.

If I search from a Library I do get a persistent window so I can at least get somewhere, but I still do not have the left side Menus.

I have seen similar problems on forums, but I have not seen that much of anything solves the problem.

I have tried to create a new user called Everyone, sworn to fix the problem. Did not work.

I re-indexed my files. I have graphics, embroidery digitizing, and photos. Guess how long that took! That did not work.

I did a clean boot and eliminated start-up and services a few at a time. This took a long time, but even with all the services off, I still do not have the see more results link.

Google search keeps turning up the same incidents, but no fix. Searching the Windows site turns up hundreds of thousands of 'possible' entries, but only one of twenty seems to even pertain to Start menu search.

I think I am getting shrill. Please help! Windows Secrets helped set me on this quest, I hope you can solve it.

Phyllis
    Don't bother with windows search use the free program "Everything" instead it is much faster than windows and as name suggests will find anything instantly.

Can get from here: http://www.voidtools.com/
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1.3 Does Everything search file contents?

No, "Everything" does not search file contents, only file and folder names.
    not good enough for me. I need file contents also

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have downloaded Everything, but I also need the contents of the files. I will say that it is better than what I currently have, but Windows Search is broke. It works for my husband on a machine identical to mine. I want to be able to save searches and such. I go nuts when something does not work correctly.
    Phyllis

Thanks
    Phyllis, Welcome to the Lounge. New perspectives are always welcome.

Did the Windows Search stop at a predetermined time, or did it never work? If you know when it failed you may do a restore from before that point, otherwise you may have to do a repair install of Win 7 to fix your OS. Windows Seven Forum shows step by step instructions for doing so.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions. It has always been like this. I didn't even know it should work differently. I am doing backups right now so I can do the repair install. As a rule of thumb, if I prepare for the worst it does not happen, but if not.......

Phyllis

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    someone said they solved it here
    http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...nk-broken.html

Solved it by:
    Control Panel>Indexing Options>Modify>Change selected locations
    ... and then fully expanding location tree and un-checking locations I didn't need indexed.
    Sorry, don't know which location fixed it, but this seems like reasonable housekeeping anyway.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried all of the things suggested on this forum so far. I did spend a nice day reading a novel while all the changes played out on the computer, but alas, I still have no See More Results.

I have done a reinstall of Windows, tried to fix indexing and changed my registry, as well as the things I mentioned in my initial submission. I still hope someone has had the same problem as I have and I will get this fixed. I am so pleased with all the help everyone has offered.

Phyllis

Thanks
    Have you tried this: How To Fix Windows 7 Search Problems

How to fix it manually:

1. Type regedit in Start menu search box and hit enter to launch Windows Registry Editor. Or, type regedit in Run dialog box (use Windows + R to launch Run) and hit enter to open the same.

2. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{ef87b4cb-f2ce-4785-8658-4ca6c63e38c6}

3. Right-click on this sub key, and then select Delete.

4. Reboot your machine to fix the problem.

5. Done!

How to fix it automatically:

1. Download the hotfix from Microsoft.

2. Install the hotfix and then reboot your machine.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Phyllis
    Can definitely see you are PC savvy since you was able to do all them things on your own. Hope you can fix with Clints above but now a known fact, MS seven search is still junk. I use something else which produces much more results. For instance searching manifest folder with 15,000 files MS returned 104 files with contents. The pdfind gave much higher exact contents.

2 things actually SearchMyFiles fron Nirsoft but a little harder to use and this version 1.55 I haven't tried yet http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html
    Pdfind real old but works blazing fast. Ask and I'll put up a link.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis Driggs View Post
    I have tried all of the things suggested on this forum so far. I did spend a nice day reading a novel while all the changes played out on the computer, but alas, I still have no See More Results.

I have done a reinstall of Windows, tried to fix indexing and changed my registry, as well as the things I mentioned in my initial submission. I still hope someone has had the same problem as I have and I will get this fixed. I am so pleased with all the help everyone has offered.

Phyllis
    First, make sure your indexing is setup the way you need it on your PC. Determining what you need to index is the key to getting Windows search to work effectively for you.

Next, if you are just using the search bar in the start menu try Win+F that will open a full search Window (perhaps this is what you are calling the "default browser"). It is not a browser instance but an instance of Windows Explorer that is set in the search context. When you perform a search you should get the full Windows Explorer navigation pane plus an option to save your search in tool bar.

If you haven't already seen this check out Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions and Change advanced indexing options.

Also, see Windows Desktop Search: Videos. Even though this is for the desktop search in Vista the techniques and suggestions should still apply to Windows 7.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint's hint did not work either. That was my second try with something from the registry. pdfind and SearchMyFiles didn't really work very well for me. I have done everything with indexing that has been recommended.

Has anyone else ever seen the Search Everywhere icon instead of the See More Results in the search results box? I just deleted all my Google gadgets and am about to re boot hoping that they may have done something.

Phyllis

New Lounger
    Thanks
    IT IS FIXED! Just deleting the gadgets did not fix anything so I deleted Google Desktop, Google bar for the browser, Bing, and the Weather items in the program files. I deleted anything that looked like it could interfere with the desktop.

When rebooted the search works the way it is supposed to.

I want to thank everyone for the help and encouragement.

Phyllis

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thats good.

Everyone need's to watch what applications try to add in when installing. Junkware as I call them. They just trying to make a few dollar's and can't blame them but you should have options to disable otherwise hit the delete

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It turned out that Google Desktop was the culprit. I re-installed it to check further to see what the real problem was and that was it. I told my husband that most of you guys would not have downloaded Google desktop on a bet!

Phyllis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast