Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I intend to buy a laptop. In the computer,
    1. Where do I go to check whether the copy of windows and office are ‘genuine’?

2. How do I check it is really new unit and not a ‘display demo’ unit?

 I am blind, so please use text instructions.
     I am very hazy about what’s inside the computer, so please give detailed info with full path to go to check info and what to look for (the words to indicate ‘genuine windows’)

Thank you
    spec

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Spec,

Is this laptop being purchased from a reputable seller or an individual? What brand laptop is it? I suppose a call to the manufacturer with an explanation of your circumstances would convince them to check their records for this PC. All PCs from reputable manufacturers will have a serial number and service tag number attached as well as the Genuine Windows key tag.

Microsoft has a web site where the Genuine Windows Advantage tool may be download and used to check if the copy of Windows is genuine or not. See the Microsoft link here to download the tool. Download and run this tool before purchasing the laptop.

As far as whether the laptop is new or demo, do you have some one who can go with you to physically examine the laptop? You could check to see what software is preloaded I suppose. Most manufacturers load a bunch of bloatware on their PCs. See if the PC comes with a Win 7 (I assume it will have Win 7) disk or just a recovery partition. Try to convince the seller that you need a recovery disk because of your disability.

A tool like System Information for Windows link will give you a complete (and I mean complete) rundown of the hardware and software in the PC. Have the seller install this app so you can check what's on the PC. Again because of your disability they should be willing to do this. If not, then beware.

I hope all this will assist you in your purchase. Good luck.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i have not bought it yet but in the past I was duped for my desktop. they did not tell me it was illegal software, and it was microsoft that alerted me. i went back to have a genuine copy installed but they charged me half price for it.
    now i intend to buy a acer but i want to verify it is genuine software before paying up. that is why i would like to know how to check whether the software is genuine before paying up. in my country, fake stuff is a bit of a problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I would recommend ordering it from a reputable website and paying for it with a credit card. Most credit cards have fraud protection and will help you get your money back if someone sells you fake or bootleg merchandise. Call your credit card company or bank and get their advice. They will be happy to help you. They hate fraud much more than you do.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i don't own a credit card. it is very difficult for the blind here to get a credit card. a blind corporate lawyer friend said he have to ask his wife to apply for a card because the bank won't issue one to him.

Lounger
    Thanks
    You could offer some really big and ugly policeman 60 Ringgits to go to the store with you. I think that is about $20.00. Or offer to buy them dinner afterwards. Big ugly cops can be wonderful friends. He might do it for free just to help you out. Most of them are very nice to ordinary people. They like spending time with people they aren't arresting. It lets them relax a little and reminds them how nice most people really are. Good luck!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    You should have no trouble whatsoever finding a fully legitimate computer seller in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

how to verify windows is genuine?

You will also want to very carefully inspect the supplied disks and the operating system label that is usually attacked to an
    easily viewable area on the computer. Ensure that you do get a DVD disk of the Office application of your choice.
    Guide to buying genuine Microsoft Windows/Office software (A lesson in spotting counterfeit)

If you fear being ripped off by a small local seller then go with one of the many well known major computer manufacturers.
    Choose a legitimate store to shop in and not a street vendor.
    Above all, ask questions.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-11-16 at 07:16.