Thread: Hot keys ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello.

Most laptops have hot-keys for the audio, to up or lower the sound. Are there some "undocumented" hot-keys on a Win-Se7en keyboard to so do ? Are these keyboard dependant or OS done ? Seems to me that it is KB dependant on all my laptops where there are dedicated keys for ± audio.

Have a great day. Jean.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm confused. Is Win-Se7en a brand name for a keyboard, laptop or netbook? Or are you asking about desktop keyboards for PCs running Windows 7? (There are lots of the latter that come with media keys, but usually require specific drivers to work.)

Though I suspect that the media keys are fairly standardized - Ubuntu had no problem configuring the media keys on my laptop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning to you Peter.

This was a bad note from me, indeed, I meant a KB on a machine running Win Se7en. Like you, I do not know of a dedicated W-7 KB.

Thanks for clearing up that question, the proper drivers have to be present to honour the hot-keys, I will quit looking for them. I was asking as my sister was asking me about her KB, it has 5 extra keys on the left end, the half-moon, the Globe, etc. I toggle from the US English to the Canada French KBs and I was wondering if the toggle could go further.

Have a nice week-end in LA. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The best thing to do in go to the keyboard manufacturer's web site and see if they have a driver for Vista or Windows 7 (most Vista drivers work fine on Win 7). Then you should be able to use the media keys.

When I first installed Win 7 I had an old Logitech keyboard with media and special purpose keys. There was no driver for that particular keyboard, but I installed the driver for a keyboard that was close in name/functionality. That driver enabled some, but not all of the extra keys. But it was good enough - the volume control keys worked.