Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a totally wireless home network with three laptops running Windows 7. I recently replaced the USB connected printer on one of the laptops with a wireless Epson "all-in-one" printer/fax/scanner. The Epson is now directly available to any of the PCs over the network. When I look at my network in Windows Explorer, I see three icons for the Epson. One is under "Multifunctional Devices", one is under "Printers", and one is under "Scanners." The icons appear to be linked, because left clicking any one of them will select all three. If I right click any of the icons, the first option is "Install" with the UAC symbol next to it.

Can anyone tell me why an "Install" option is being presented when everything appears to be working properly? I contacted Epson, but they were unable to provide an explanation. They just recommended leaving well enough alone. Nevertheless, I'm concerned that I missed a step somewhere when I installed the Epson networking software and I may have a problem later depending on what I'm doing.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This is just one of those vagaries that software throws up every now. As Epson said, if it aint broke....

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm really impressed with Epson's product support. They kept my inquiry active and just provided the following detailed explanation:

"This is not an "Epson" Install, it is a Windows feature, it will create Windows WSD (Web Services on Devices) Port Monitor copy of the WF 610 Printer and Fax Drivers. These are Win 7 Port monitor utilities that will add another driver and gives you additional features and a link to the Printer's "Home Page" (see below). You have not missed any steps in your setup.

We have not thoroughly tested or evaluated it. We are not sure what issues (if any) can arise from using or installing this driver along with the Epson Drivers. I say this because in researching this feature, I saw some user comments regarding conflicts with other drivers - that all!

I tried it here on a Win 7 system and no apparent harm has occurred as of yet. After you install it, the fly out will give you the option to Delete it. My recommendation is if everything is working fine then do not install it! However, If you wish to install it and test it to find out more about it, keep in mind that Epson will not support the WSD Driver as it is a Microsoft driver. If you have issues with the Epson Driver after installing the WSD, we would ask you to remove the WSD driver and see if the issues go away.

The WSD Port Monitor is a new printer port monitor in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. This port monitor supports printing to network devices that are designed to include Web Services for Devices (WSD) technology. Web Services for Devices allows network-connected IP-based devices to advertise their functionality and offer these services to clients by using the Web Services protocol. WSD-based devices and clients communicate over the network using a series of SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol) messages over UDP and HTTP(S). WSD for Devices provides a network plug-and-play experience that is similar to installing a USB device. Web Services for Devices also defines a security profile that may be extended to provide additional protection and authentication using device-based certificates.

The WSD Port Monitor is installed by default on Windows Vista. On Windows Server 2008, the port monitor is installed along with the Print Services server role. Web Services for Devices is not available for Windows XP or Windows Server 2003. These clients can print to WSD-based devices that are shared on computers running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008."

So now we all know the answer.