Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been reading for what seems like forever but haven't seen the exact words I need to in order to make a decision. I am trying to decide between Office 2007 and Office 2010. I am wondering if Access 2010 can open, use, and save Access 2003 *.mdb file format. I have found the following quote and when reading its suggestion it would lead me to believe it would but then there is that little warning that "Because Access 2010 has many similarities with Office Access 2007, such as the same native file format," I'm not totally convinced.

Migration considerations
    When you plan a migration to Access 2010, review what is new, changed, and removed for Access 2010. Because Access 2010 has many similarities with Office Access 2007, such as the same native file format, you can also review and use the existing migration documentation for Office Access 2007 when you migrate to Access 2010.

So my question is can Access 2010 open, use, and save databases in the Office 2003 file format?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, it can without question. It can also open .accdb format databases created in 2007. See some further discussion on this and a link to a technet article on 2010 compatibility issues in the thread Office 2010 "Unrecognized database format".
    Wendell

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you and I already did read that thread before posting. For some reason the link you posted doesn't seem to work but I found it under the database forum and check to make sure it was the one I had previously read.

Again, thanks.
    H Lewton

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks for noting the broken link - I've fixed it. Also see the article Save an Access 2010 database in an earlier file format.
    Wendell