Lounger
    Thanks
    I made a point of making sure I had backup copies of the favorites along with everything else I might need on an external disk prior to wiping my C: drive and installing a clean version of Win7 64-bit.

Now I can't figure out how to get the favorites settings into IE8 which was loaded with the Win7.

Can anyone tell me how to do this or have any ideas to attempt?

Thanks
    You could replace the contents of your IE8 Favorites folder in Windows 7 with that of you XP favorites.
    Do not replace the actual "Favorites" folder itself, only the contents.

You will need to know where the favorites root folder is located, usually C:\Users\*YourUserName*\Favorites.
    Ensure you have administrative permissions when accessing. You may also need to "unhide" protected operating system files.

Copy and paste links, folders, and subfolder from your old favorites (that you have in backup) into the new Windows 7 favorites folder. Assuming you have an easily accessable backup on CD/DVD, or USB stick or drive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Actually when you clean install Win 7 over your original XP partition (do not format the partition) the Win 7 installation will create a folder in the root directory (C Drive) called windows.old. You can open this folder as any other folder. This folder contains the old win XP. Simply copy all the favorites to the new favorites folder. As Clint states do not copy the entire folder, just the contents of the folder. This is a far easier route to regain your data.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    In IE8, use the Favorites Bar. Press the Favorites icon, then press the arrow next to " Add to favorites", click on "Import and export", follow the dialog.

[attachment=90206:Capture.PNG]

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Iíve everything in this area working fine now. I used your suggestions Clint.