Thanks
    I have a Dell Dimension 4500S desktop that has been working fine until recently. The USB has been acting up. The printer works and is plugged in right now. However, whenever I plug in an external flash drive, the computer no longer recognizes it. It was working fine on Friday, but today, it will not recognize any flash drive. I know the drives work, because I have put them in other computers. We have installed the latest BIOS and chipset from the Dell website. We have even run a system restore to Friday, and still nothing. If anyone has any information to get the USB drive working properly again, I would be very appreciative.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Power off the computer for about 3-5 min or so then restart, allow windows to load, then plug the USB drive into one of your USB connectors.
    If the external USB drive has it's own power source, power it off too.

Open up device manager by typing "devmgmt.msc" in the run box. Look for yellow exclamation marks. Ensure device manager is set to "Veiw: Show Hidden Devices".
    Open up Disk Manager by typing "diskmgmt.msc " in the run box. Check to see if it shows up there, if so run a check disk on the drive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Well Clint, I tried your suggestion of turning the computer on or off, and it still doesn't work. Also, I have run device manager, but there is no yellow exclamation mark. Instead, the flash drive is marked as an unknown device, and I get a pop up balloon in the toolbar indicating that the device doesn't work. However, I know this is not true, as as I get the same message with several flash drives, and they have all been tested and work perfectly on other computers. I will run the disk manager and see if that fixes anything. Thank you for your suggestions.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Great news! I ran the disk check and found that nothing was wrong with my hard drive. However, I have found the source of the problem: a weak power supply (PSU). At first I didn't believe it, because I have had both the flash drive and the printer plugged in and running on the computer with no trouble. But after I upgraded the RAM, the problem arose. I found that when I turn off the printer, the flash drive will work, but when it is turned on, the computer will not read the flash drive. So it is therefore my conclusion that the PSU is not strong enough to support the upgraded RAM, a flash drive, and a USB printer simultaneously. Even with the latest chipset driver, the computer might just be too old. I hope this information helps out those who may be experiencing the same problem as me.

Thanks
    Wow, are we talking about an early 2000s era Small Form Factor computer?
    What is your PSU rated at, out of curiosity?

EDIT
    Is this it?
    Your computer is equipped with one of the following 180-W power supply units (see "Safety Instructions" for more information)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.