New Lounger
    Thanks
    And by shutdown I mean that. Not a sudden stopping of the computer but a shut down and saving of settings. Quite civilized really but then will almost immediately start up again or in the next few minutes. No error messages no BSOD
    I've tried all the standard replace PSU and Ram and cleaned the motherboard of all dust. I have searched high and low and tried just about everything.
    It's a Compaq Presario Desktop Athlon XP 2200 processor. 1 Gig ram using 2 sticks. Running XP SP3 with almost all the updates.
    Been having some trouble with a few recently and if I could get it to stay running even in Safe mode I'd tell you which one's they are.
    Have done mostly routine maintenance on the OS. Using AVG 9.0 Up to date and no virus notices. No new hardware, no new software other than a Kodak ESP3 printer. That was a real pain getting that to work, but I can see no reason why it would only mess up the Compaq and none of the other computers we use it with.
    I've finally unplugged it.
    It's my wifes computer and I'm sure there will be no joy in Mud-ville if I don't get this running without a reformat.
    I've been following Fred Langa AND Woody since the early 90s and they have saved my bacon more then once.
    I hope some of you faithful can help me too!
    If you need more info just ask.
    Thanks in advance!
    James
    Better to be silent and thought a fool than to opens one's mouth and remove all doubt.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Whatever you do, James, don' t allow anyone to talk you into a panicky reformat-to-start-all-over.

First off, you want to save all the salvageable files you can. You have more than one machine, and at least one of them is working. Use it to go to a website that will show you how to build a boot CD, with a truncated version of Windows XP on it. I use Bart's PE (Preliminary Environment) but have also used Ultimate Boot Disk 4 Win. (The latter can be constructed on a DVD, and will therefore allow you a lot more flexibility in the way of additional programs.) Build the disk, and go to setup in the Bios boot screen in the target machine. There you set the boot order, and you will want to have the CD drive (it might be called an optical drive in biosspeak) earlier in the boot order than your HDD.

When the boot process reaches "Press any key to boot from CD" you do that. It will take a while, but the boot disk will load a foreshortened version of XP into a ram disk. The culprit operating system on the HDD will be completely out of the picture. You will be able to see it, if you want, by doing the following.

A gold mound on the lower left will be labeled "Go". Click it, and you'll see some options. Among the programs available will be a file manager named A43. Use it to navigate. [Me, I put a copy of Ghisler's Total Commander on my Bart's. It will remind you a lot of the old Norton Commander from the DOS days. It's much more facile than A43, and certainly much more flexible than Windows Explorer.]

Now, assuming you have USB ports on your machine, you can begin copying crucial irreplaceable files to a thumb drive, for transfer to a trusted HDD on one of your other machines. When you do a little thinking about it, you'll conclude that the really crucial files don't amount to many Gigs, unless you have a lot of movies or photographs stored. If the latter is so, then read up in the Bart's literature about running the Bart's with networking available. Then you can do transfers over something like Ethernet cable, instead of using a thumb drive or two. Don't stint on the backing up of stuff you can't replace. Things can go wrong, and the problem you're experiencing *could* be the result of Windows' responding to some hardware glitch that you don't know about yet. Back up.

Some one here may know already of a quick fix for your problem. The Bart's CD disk will make that easier to accomplish. But if everything indicates there's a fault in the Win OS, you can do a repair installation.

Repair installation will be much easier for you if you have two CD drives on on the target. But you can do a repair installation of Win XP using the Bart's disk. Since the machine running on Bart's is independent from the OS lurking on the HDD, you can manipulate things without the interruption (if the interruption is indeed Microsoft's fault, and not about hardware.)

I'm going to assume you know how to do a repair installation of XP from the XP installation disk(s). You may like my favorite method, which is to copy the XP installation files to a separate partition on the HDD, and install from there. (Lots faster.)

Take two aspirin and report back here in the morning, especially if you're uneasy about how to do a repair installation. (For an important consideration, do NOT use the beginning option of repair by using the Recovery Console. Elect to do a fresh installation, but under "advanced" make sure to check the box that enables you to choose the partition to be installed to. Then later you'll be given a choice to repair an existing installation. That's the method to use.) A repair installation will take a while, but it will do very little in the way of changing anything already installed. In particular it will leave all your data and installed programs alone. A format-and-start-all-over can take days rather than the better part of an afternoon. (Don't forget to reinstall SP3! And don't forget to allow Microsoft to do all the subsequent updates. Best to keep that machine off the Web until all that's accomplished.)

Be of good cheer, and good luck.

Dave

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I knew that XP could be repaired. I also knew about the boot disk etc. I was hoping for something simplier first.
    I'm actually going to try out swapping the hard drives first. I have another mothballed XP Presario that I can use the hard drive from. I know it'll give me hiccups when first starting but it should at least run long enough for me to tell if it's hardware or the buggered OS.
    Any thoughts on trying this first?
    Better to be silent and thought a fool than to opens one's mouth and remove all doubt.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It may be a dodgy power switch. I would test by going to the power settings (type powercfg.cpl in the run box). Go to the advanced tab and in the "when I press the power button on my computer" box, set it to "Ask me what to do".

If this is the problem you will now get a prompt on what you want the computer to do instead of a shutdown.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    It may be a dodgy power switch. I would test by going to the power settings (type powercfg.cpl in the run box). Go to the advanced tab and in the "when I press the power button on my computer" box, set it to "Ask me what to do".

If this is the problem you will now get a prompt on what you want the computer to do instead of a shutdown.
    Not the power switch. tried that . Thanks anyways.

It's definitely a hardware issue. it even does it when there is no hard drive installed.
    Checked the MB temps and everything is in the normal range.

So I have another Compaq Presario doing nothing at the moment but it's an Intel processor version.
    Will that Windows XP Repair work on getting that hard drive up and running?

Thanks
    And by shutdown I mean that. Not a sudden stopping of the computer but a shut down and saving of settings. Quite civilized really but then will almost immediately start up again or in the next few minutes. No error messages no BSOD
    What is in the event veiwer in terms of reports generated?
    Is this behavior replicated when you are in the BIOS?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    What is in the event veiwer in terms of reports generated?
    Is this behavior replicated when you are in the BIOS?
    no reports generated. Unless there is a specific spot I should look at. I know XP has report generators but I have not till now had to look for them.
    And the few times I was able to get into the Bios I don't remember it shutting down.
    I'm currently trying Bart PE to see if I can do a repair.
    However I still think something is dodgey in the hardware.
    My next trick is to try it on the other Compaq and do a repair on it there.
    Unless someone has a better idea! Anyone?

Thanks
    Overheating can cause random shut downs, you should be able to check actual temps from within the BIOS.
    The BIOS will also offer system/processor fan control settings, check yours.
    You can also open the case and inspect the case fans and the processor heatsink fan to ensure thay are running.

In XP's advanced startup and recovery, ensure that the check box is removed from "Automatically Restart" and take note of the dump file.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    drkurtz wrote But you can do a repair installation of Win XP using the Bart's disk. Since the machine running on Bart's is independent from the OS lurking on the HDD, you can manipulate things without the interruption (if the interruption is indeed Microsoft's fault, and not about hardware.)

Can you explain this a little better?
    I tried to do a repair with a SP slipstreamed disk but I never got to an advance option before it wanted to wipe the partition. then of course the system now freezes instead of rebooting.

I'm now going to put the hard drive in the other computer but I still want to be able to do the repair without wiping the drive.
    Any help?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Overheating can cause random shut downs, you should be able to check actual temps from within the BIOS.
    The BIOS will also offer system/processor fan control settings, check yours.
    You can also open the case and inspect the case fans and the processor heatsink fan to ensure thay are running.

In XP's advanced startup and recovery, ensure that the check box is removed from "Automatically Restart" and take note of the dump file.
    Thanks
    Checked overheating first. Had an overclocked toy do it all the time. It's well within limits. fans working heatsink clean and auto restart was not on.
    At least in the bios will double check in system.

EDIT! Well whadda you know. Was set to restart. Having trouble finding the %systemroot%:\minidump file