4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Professional and I am using Microsoft Security Essentials as my primary security program. I have just downloaded SuperAntiSpyware, which I have disabled with WinPatrol Plus. Is it OK to have both Microsoft Secujrity Essentials and SuperAntispyware active at the same time? Or should I activate SuperAntiSpyware only when I want to run it and then deactivate it after it has completed its task?

Thank you very much.

Moon

Spyware

Thanks
    If you've got the free version of SuperAntiSpyware then it is just an on-demand scanner (see comparison) with no real-time scanning capability.

So no overlap with MSE!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    I am running Windows 7 Professional and I am using Microsoft Security Essentials as my primary security program. I have just downloaded SuperAntiSpyware, which I have disabled with WinPatrol Plus. Is it OK to have both Microsoft Secujrity Essentials and SuperAntispyware active at the same time? Or should I activate SuperAntiSpyware only when I want to run it and then deactivate it after it has completed its task?
    As a general rule of thumb, you should only have one each AV and AM real time protection running at the same time as these security apps tend to conflict with each other. I have heard of a couple of exceptions but have no first hand knowledge of these. Since MSE includes both AV and AM there is no real need to attempt to run a second of either in real time.

On the other hand, I have found that periodic scanning with other products does not hurt. I scan with Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy regularly as well as manually scan with MSE. I feel my PC is more secure by doing this as each product tends to find things the other may not. As you are probably aware, no AV or AM app finds 100% of these nasties.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you BATcher and Ted. Your responses coincide with what I have been doing....running SuperAntiSpyware on-demand, along with Malwarebytes, and turning it off with WinPatrol Plus after it has completed its scan. I had been contemplating just leaving it running, but your comments convinced me to continue as I was doing. My main program is Microsofrt Security Essentials, which a computer repair person told me was a better program than the Norton 360 that I had been using.

Have a very good one...

Moon