5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Acronis 2011 modifies this registry key to "integrate" into Windows 7:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B98A2BEA-7D42-4558-8BD1-832F41BAC6FD}\Instance\InitPropertyBag

When it does so, it disables the opportunity to also use W7's imaging and backup capabilities.
    I know what to change the necessary 2 values to, but regedit wont make the changes because it says
    the key is in use by other processes.

I tried changing permissions, but it wont let me.
    I tried doing the above in Safe Mode, it wont let me.
    Thinking Acronis 2011 somehow now "owned" this key, I uninstalled it wirh Revouninstaller.
    I tried the above again, it still wont let me.

After all that, my question is: how can I find out who else is tying up that key; or, how can I as the
    administrator of my W7 Home Premium system gain control of the above key so that I can modify it?

Thanks,
    Dick

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked any running processes related to Acronis in Task Manager?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Richard:
    As I mentioned I have uninstalled Acronis, and rebooted. Wouldn't that negate the chance of
    any Acronis process running?
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unless you are logged on with the builtin Administrator account, you do not have the same privileges as that account even though your account is a member of the administration group. Kind of confusing but it is a security feature introduced in Vista.

Have you tried running regedit as administrator, i.e. right click on regedit.exe and select "Run as administrator"?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe:
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have tried running Regedit as administrator. No joy.
    Dick

Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you might have better luck addressing this problem in the Acronis forum.

http://forum.acronis.com/

Pick a specific forum which fits your need best. Good luck.
    Phasr

Sonoran Desert

Administrator
    Thanks
    Runing regedit as administrator, have you tried taking ownership of the key?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B98A2BEA-7D42-4558-8BD1-832F41BAC6FD}\Instance\InitPropertyBag

When it does so, it disables the opportunity to also use W7's imaging and backup capabilities.
    I know what to change the necessary 2 values to, but regedit wont make the changes because it says
    the key is in use by other processes.

Thanks,
    Dick
    Can you please tell us what to change these to, or better where you found the information about this key and the available values for it?
    TIA
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found the suggested values on the Acronis forum, KB 14741. There are also 2 "hotfixes" Acronis has posted on their forum. All say the same.
    Unfortunately (for me anyway), I cant update the keys as suggested - in spite of all the ways I've tried; and that's why I posted
    my question and listed all the ways I've tried.

Dick

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post

After all that, my question is: how can I find out who else is tying up that key; or, how can I as the
    administrator of my W7 Home Premium system gain control of the above key so that I can modify it?
    Dick,
    Hello... I have had much angst trying to do the same type of things... ( taking ownership ) I went to that key and successfully took ownership...
    1. Click on key and select properties.
    2. click on "advanced"
    3. select "owner tab"
    4. change "System" or "Trusted Installer" to yourself "Name Administrator Blah Blah" Click Apply... OK
    5 Back at original "permissions screen"... click on the name you just selected and "tick off the check box" to give yourself "full control" Sometimes it even appears "Grayed out"... you can still check it off.
    6.That should do the trick
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred is correct. There are a few keys in the registry that are owned by System or Trusted Installer, and those keys cannot be modified by a member of the Administrators Group or even the default Windows Administrator account (which is normally inactive, unless you have activated it as a member of the Adminstrators Group) under that ownership.

You must take ownership of the key(s) first, and then you can do as you wish.

Also, if you want to keep things "Window-ey"; after you have changed the value(s) as needed, you may again give ownership back to System or Trusted Installer. (To my knowledge, this doesn't really matter, but then my knowledge is limited.)
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred:

I owe you one. I did what you suggested, changed what I had to, rebooted, and my problem is fixed.
    Coming here to give you a "thumbs up" and thank you, I noticed bbearren confirmed what you said.
    Thanks to you both.

Best,
    Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a follow-up comment. BBearren's advice was helpful. About 1/2 hr after giving myself control as Fred suggested, and
    successfully modifying the keys I needed to, Windows Explorer died. I went back to that key and gave ownership back to
    SYSTEM and have been running fine since.

Thanks to all who made helpful comments.
    Like a fellow poster, I've been involved with computers for over 50 years (back to "wireboards" at an insurance company);
    and I love learning new things every day.

Dick