3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello to all.This is more of an FYI for those who may run in to it. We upgraded to Windows 7 machines (all Dell OptiPlexes) a few months ago. I had Windows Fax and Scan working wonderfully on my computer and about a month ago it quit working. I renamed my computer so I could more easily understand whose computer it was on the network.

Now when I try to send a new fax, it immediately pops up a message that says: "New Fax: Unable to retrieve cover pages associated with the selected account." Then it brings up the regular faxing window and I prepare a fax and when I press Send, I get this message: "The message could not be sent. The RPC server is unavailable." Down at the bottom of the screen there is a message that says "All fax accounts are inaccessible".

After much searching, I found this link kb/930087 and followed the instructions to delete the fax account and set up a new account. That took care of my problem.

Just posting it here in case it can help someone. I have spent many a frustrating hour trying to get my fax working, today I found the answer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running into this same issue setting up my efax, which I have heard is the Best Small Business Internet Fax, and came across this thread. Did you ever figure out the workaround for this? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by angelicalee8; 2012-06-28 at 00:39.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You need to delete the fax account and re-create it. The OP put a link in for you to follow.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

How about windows 7?

i have a similar issue. my fax service on my Dell Optiplex 780 running windows 7 professional 32-bit was working like a CHAMP - then suddenly i get the error that "all fax accounts accounts are inaccessible".

this was sudden. i have NOT renamed my computer, or done any upgrade to it (other than increase the memory in preparation for installing 64-bit, so that should not be a factor).

i followed the link above, but of course it took me to a 'solution' for a windows VISTA OS, -not- Windows 7. But i opened the windows fax & scan through the 'search program and files' option. i deleted the fax account, recreated a new one...and....wait for it... SAME PROBLEM! it pulls up 'old' sent faxes just fine, and several 'test' faxes i have been trying to send, and still the issue persists. i 'delete' the pending faxes, and one of the old ones returns... it is, in a word, jacked up.

is there a way to completely UNISTALL the fax service and then REINSTALL it? i am getting so frustrated with this 'service' (and windows in general) i am getting ready to pay for a fax server software to install - but i cant find one that will let me TRY IT first, and i don't want to spend money on it if it isn't going to work.

suggestions?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the fax uses the spooler to manage pending faxes. Do you see any files in %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\PRINTERS?
    If so, stop the spooler (sc stop spooler) delete the file found above and re-start the spooler (sc start spooler).

cheers, Paul