Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a DVD from my daughter's school, where she plays a solo. The DVD is of the whole concert, but my salivating relatives only want to see my daughter.

THE DVD does not have copy protection on it, as far as I can tell.

How best to copy only a section of the DVD? (And, since I don't do this for a living, a low cost solution would be preferred).
    [I have been here for years; I had to get things restarted]

Thanks
    The free Windows Movie Maker from Microsoft lets you create a project consisting of part of a source (you move start and end sliders to the part you want, then render it to disk). I've never worked with anything that long, so I don't know whether WMM can handle that much content.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To flesh this out just a bit more, when you explore the files on the DVD with a computer, find the .vob file(s) and if there is more than one play each one with VLC Media Player or other player that can handle .vob files, and find the file that has the video clip you want. Then you only have to copy over that one file to your hard drive instead of having to try to rip it or copy everything. Then you can try adding that file to Movie Maker for editing out the section you want. If Movie Maker doesn't see the file, change the extension to .mpg. There should only be one audio source in this case so you should be able to save out the desired clip in avi or wmv format.

Another free alternative program that should do much the same thing is Video Spin from Pinnacle ( http://www.videospin.com/Redesign/ ).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And thanks to all.

I have a question that comes from a little knowledge, but not enough to be really intelligent sounding.

It is my understanding that to do the editing, in most cases the software requires that the dvd files be converted to another format. Then, the files need to be reconverted to dvd format to allow burning onto another disk. If this is true, is there any degradation of the quality of the dvd image and/or sound?
    [I have been here for years; I had to get things restarted]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There can be some loss of quality if the output file from the editing is not a so-called intermeadiate format; one that has the capacity to contain all the quality that could possibly come from a DVD. A very common format for this is AVI-DV so if its going back to DVD, that's what I would recommend. VideoSpin has AVI-DV output format if WMM doesn't. Then a free program like DVDFlick or DVDStyler can take that AVI-DV file and make a DVD from it with no quality loss from the original if the settings are for full quality DVD (maximum bitrate). Audio is covered as well as long as its only 2 channel (AVI-DV is limited to two channel PCM wav in VideoSpin).

There are programs that will just transcode the video over without re-encoding (so its the exact same quality) but I'm not sure if any of them are free. Someone else may be able to recommend something there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could also download and try a trial version of video editing software such as Adobe Premier Elements or Pinnacle Studio. This software usually has the ability to extract video from a DVD (I use that feature often in Pinnacle Studio). Once the video is extracted you can easily edit it removing the scenes you don't want.