Thread: Worth a try?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an installation of Outlook 2007 which quit accepting incoming mail a number of weeks ago, and while I have another computer on which to get it I canít leave this as it is. Microsoft Office Diagnostics was no help. The drive is fully backed up.

How risky would it be to uninstall Office 2007 and install Office 2010 in its place, and is there any chance it would cure whatever is wrong?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Office 2007 will be uninstalled as part of the Office 2010 install process. You do not have to perform a separate uninstall. I've had no problem in updgrading several PCs to Office 2010 from Office 2007.

Whether or not Office 2010 will fix your mail problem depends on what the problem is. If you have a corrupted mail profile then upgrading will not help.

Have you turned on Outlook logging? See What is the Enable logging (troubleshooting) option? - Outlook - Microsoft Office for details.

Do you get a specific error?

Joe
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would troubleshoot the 2007 problem rather than installing 2010. If the problem is configuration - most likely - you will end up in the same boat.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe, for the helpful advice. Here is a more up-to-date version of How to turn on the Enable Mail Logging option for troubleshooting in Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 (which I would never have found without your link.

Thanks as well to Paul for his suggestion. Scan and repair corrupted Outlook data files is the relevant article there, and the tool SCANPST.EXE, which is on your machine if you have Office 2007), cured the problem. That was a gigantic amount of data.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Thanks, Joe, for the helpful advice. Here is a more up-to-date version of How to turn on the Enable Mail Logging option for troubleshooting in Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 (which I would never have found without your link.

Thanks as well to Paul for his suggestion. Scan and repair corrupted Outlook data files is the relevant article there, and the tool SCANPST.EXE, which is on your machine if you have Office 2007), cured the problem. That was a gigantic amount of data.
    SCANPST.EXE is also available in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 14" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 14" for Office 2010 depending on the version of the "bitness" of Windows & Office. It is available in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033" for Office 2003.

Joe
    Joe