4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Loungers,

Is it possible to use an IIF statement in the LinkMasterFields? I have failed so far - access translates the iif into some strange code starting with substituting semi-colons for commas. And could I use the TempVars value in the field?

thank you.............................. liz

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To use IF and TempVars I think you would have to use VBA code or a Macro to set the value of the LinkMasterFields property.
    But I see from Help that the Open event is the only event that can be used to set the value.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    John has pretty much covered the situation, but I did want to add that you can change the subform linkage on the fly using VBA. We have an application where staff reviews several kinds of web submissions, and either accepts them as is, edits and then accepts them, or rejects them. We use a single main form and display the appropriate subform depending on the type of submission, and it works pretty well, although unless you turn off screen updating, there is a noticeable flash as the subform changes.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both, I understand the theory. My one question is this, in the VBA code am I setting the link properties to a value or a field name that is then resolved and, if the latter, how does that worl with tempvars since I couldn't directly use that in the properties field itself?

liz

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In code you set the value of LinkMasterFields or LinkchildFields to the name of the field or control that provides the link.
    The name of something is just a string, a piece of text. The value you set it to could come from a variable, or be typed into the code.

Code:
    me.frmsubform.linkedmasterfields = "childID"
    or

Code:
    me.frmsubform.linkedmasterfields = TempVars("tv_something")
    (I have never used TempVars, but I am assuming they work just like any other variable.)
    Regards
    John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    (I have never used TempVars, but I am assuming they work just like any other variable.)
    What is a TempVar?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear John,

These are global variables that were implemented in Access 2007. They are very useful as they are persistent and can be referred to in macros, queries, reports as well as VBA. You can have up to 255 each uniquely named. Makes the "no coding" db very much more flexible.

This is the MSDN reference page and here are Juan Soto's notes on them.

liz