iNET Interactive
    Thanks

LANGALIST PLUS

Readers weigh in on MS Security Essentials

By Fred Langa

A flood of reader mail (and comments in the Lounge) followed my report of a six-month, real-life test of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).Many reader remarks questioned the uncontrolled nature of the test as well as MSE's suitability for novices.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/10/07/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 15:04.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Fred,

Norton 360 4 marks Old-Version.net, mentioned in your article on "Sources for free versions of older software," released today, as a malicious site with 28 computer threats and 2 identity threats.

Thought you would want to know.

Thanks for your great work. I've enjoyed Windows Secrets and its precursors for years now.

Also, I am perplexed. Your Start New Thread button is not showing up on the Lounge pages. Thanks!

Regards,
    Ron

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried MSE on Fred's recommendation, and I don't know what went wrong but it just screwed up so much on my computer. All my settings went south, my desktop was fried.

I uninstalled and reinstalled my former security package (AVG) and all returned to normal.

If anyone can explain this, I'd love to hear as I'm not completely happy with AVG.

TIA,
    ~m

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found MSE to be garbage. I have a computer tech company and I have fixed more virus & spyware problems with people who are running MSE than any other security product. Now to each his own but I tell my clients to not use that product. Granted it is very light on system resources but it doesn't work. I guess that's good for me Microsoft is creating employment!!

Thanks
    On Windows XP Pro SP3,32-bit, I would not use MSSE alone, as the Windows XP Firewall is inadequate. I use the Comodo Firewall with Defense Pluse (without their Internet Security) and Avast as my security baseline in that laptop. And several specialized scanners including Malwarebytes Free and Super Antispyware Free as backup scanners. Clearly, I do not trust Windows XP baked-in security, which is what MSSE leverages.

But on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit laptop, MSSE and the built-in Windows 7 Firewall in standard configurations, have never let me down during the six months or so when I have owned this laptop. I do run Super Antispyware and Hitman (free multi-engine cloud scanner) but have not yet seen anything show up.

No matter what security is used, any safeguards can be compromised by user actions, intended or not. And the front line defense is still a good program updater like SUMo Lite (skip their spyware!) or (for security threats only) Secunia PSI. Microsoft Updates if not set to automatic also need to be monitored. There is no security fix for lazy or stupid.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dealing with a later part of this column concerning camera drivers. There were quite a few things suggested which I am willing to try but before I do so, I am wondering if any of those suggestions deal with the change from 32 bit to 64 bit which is what I have with Windows 7.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boyes View Post
    Dealing with a later part of this column concerning camera drivers. There were quite a few things suggested which I am willing to try but before I do so, I am wondering if any of those suggestions deal with the change from 32 bit to 64 bit which is what I have with Windows 7.
    Hi John,and welcome to the Lounge!

Go ahead and try the suggestions. Most Windows 7 drivers offered will identify which are for Win7 32 bit and which are for the 64 bit edition. Just download and install the x64 drivers.

If there are no updated drivers for Windows 7, then check out Vista x64 drivers. If one is available for your camera, it just might work for you.

I do not believe Compatibility Mode in Windows 7 x64 edition will help you with the driver problem. It can help when you have difficulty with other 32 bit software programs. But drivers are a different breed. If you run a 64 bit OS, you must use 64 bit drivers.

If you are going to try the Windows XP virtual machine suggestion, then you would need the 32 bit Windows XP driver for your camera.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i've used every security app there is....for the last 30 years......they start off great then go to junk......the best defense is don't download anything....don't open any email attachment you didn't specifically ask for...and for petes sake stay away from them naughty sites...this will prevent 99% of any so called virus or malware software....and out of the remaining 1% - 99% is - your os is freaking out or a driver is misbehaving - time to do a clean re-install.....

i've seen more than i can remember of people claiming they have a virus because their security app says so...most of the time it's because of a mis-behaving driver....and usually its a related to a gaming software...

after 50 years of life i'm finally pissed off at the extremes rich people will go to take advantage of the ignorant public....and most of their efforts is aimed at the technology venue because to this very day people still do not understand how a can opener works much less how to fix it....