iNET Interactive
    Thanks

TOP STORY

Microsoft bags blogs, eviscerates Live Spaces

By
    Woody Leonhard

In a move that surprised many Windows watchers, Microsoft last week handed its online bloggers an eviction notice: they get six months to pick up and move — to WordPress.

Windows Live Spaces is now vacant, bequeathing Spaces users some tools to help them migrate to WordPress.

The full text of this column is posted at
    WindowsSecrets.com/2010/10/07/02
    (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by andyfboyd; 2011-01-18 at 14:29.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another thing they are less than honest about is telling you that, if you have a private blog, nobody will be able to read it unless they open a WordPress blog of their own. Only then can you give them permission to see it. Add to that the fact there is a limit of 35 people you can allow access unless you are prepared to pay. So all those who previously had access to by private blog now have to sign up for a WordPress account to be able to access it if I migrate across (a very unlikely event from what I've seen of WordPress so far).

Finally, many elements of WordPress won't work if you are using the beta of Internet Explorer 9. You can only, sometimes, see the instructional videos if you go into Compatibility Mode, the drop down boxes in the setup and options screens don't work, and any attempt to save a post or publish it results in the title being published while the text of the blog vanishes. The advice from WordPress - who were the ones to tell me about this, Microsoft made no mention of it when I mentioned the problems to them - is to either wait for Microsoft to get its act together or use another browser which will overcome the problem.

The fact is Microsoft have been dishonest about the whole process and have misled and prevaricated on about every factor of the changeover.

Thanks
    John -

I think the problem is with "private" blogs. I run a very wide-open blog using WordPress software (not on the WordPress site) at www.askwoody.com and have no problem with lots of people seeing everything I post.

As far as being dishonest - yep, and disingenuous, too. A lot of people held out for WLS when it seemed to be suffering from benign neglect. Now we know that it was simply being orphaned...
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Something suspicious since WordPress.com did this deal with Microsoft:

1. My ranking submission provider for my WordPress.com site, Blue Planet Almanac - Attracta - noted that my Google results ranking dropped 12 points after 9-13-10.

2. Now, when refreshing a post I'm editing inside WordPress.com's GUI, the first line that appears lower left in the status bar is, "Bing."

This likely means that the WordPress.com/Microsoft arrangement is costing me many site visitors. I've asked WordPress.com for a comment on this. If that's the case, I might be inclined to move to a different platform. One of the reasons I've enjoyed WordPress.com is their seeming neutrality in the face of Microsoft's skullduggery.

Thanks
    Michael -

Interesting. Keep me posted.

Bing, indeed...
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That symptom happened for a couple of days, and is not appearing at this time. Their noncommittal tech support reply said it, "shouldn't be happening," and I sent them a screenshot, showing the status update section of their screen where I saw it. It appeared immediately before "pixel.quantserve.net."

I'd suspect I won't hear from them again about this, but my Google search rankings are still down 12% since their change.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Leonhard View Post
    Michael -

Interesting. Keep me posted.

Bing, indeed...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    O.K., Woody, here you go:

WordPress.com support wrote two things to me, (1.) that Bing.com would never appear in their blog GUI and that (2.) my drop in Google rankings is due to other factors than those I noticed. They're stickin' to their story although what I've seen suggests they're mistaken. I recorded my screen during a blog update session at WordPress.com. There are two files at http://www.borrowedplanet.org/WordPress.wmv and http://www.borrowedplanet.org/WordPress.mpg which show the same things I saw. The .mpg file has the best native resolution, but the .wmv might play more easily.

You can see upper right as I mouse, "Update," and then watch lower left as WordPress.com processes its site filters and redirects. Bing.com clearly appears in the lower left of the window. When I first noticed this behavior, it was mid-September. It had never happened before that. It happened again this morning. I'd suspect it's also related to server loading; the higher the load the slower the refresh of the addresses at the bottom left, at low loads you might not be able to see it.

My Google search rankings as reported by Attracta, have dropped from a more desirable 59 on 9-10-10 to a 44 on 9-20-10, since Windows Live did their deal with WordPress.com in mid-September. This is fishy at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Austin View Post
    Something suspicious since WordPress.com did this deal with Microsoft:

1. My ranking submission provider for my WordPress.com site, Blue Planet Almanac - Attracta - noted that my Google results ranking dropped 12 points after 9-13-10.

2. Now, when refreshing a post I'm editing inside WordPress.com's GUI, the first line that appears lower left in the status bar is, "Bing."

This likely means that the WordPress.com/Microsoft arrangement is costing me many site visitors. I've asked WordPress.com for a comment on this. If that's the case, I might be inclined to move to a different platform. One of the reasons I've enjoyed WordPress.com is their seeming neutrality in the face of Microsoft's skullduggery.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I asked WordPress.com's support this question: "Would you care to comment on the Bing.com redirect which shows up in my screen video during update of my WordPress.com posts? If you could provide me an upload link for the video, which is around 29 MB, you can see it for yourself." ...

They replied with this: " Hi, We send a ping to the major search engines such as Google, Yahoo!, and Bing when a post is updated. It's not a redirect though. Have you setup Webmaster tools to check with the search engines directly about your rankings? http://en.support.wordpress.com/webmaster-tools/"

I'll get to that eventually, but it's not something which in the past has made a difference. AND, no other search providers than Bing show up in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Austin View Post
    O.K., Woody, here you go:

WordPress.com support wrote two things to me, (1.) that Bing.com would never appear in their blog GUI and that (2.) my drop in Google rankings is due to other factors than those I noticed. They're stickin' to their story although what I've seen suggests they're mistaken.