New Lounger
    Thanks
    I work in Further Education where we have just installed Windows 7 and Office 2007
    Obviously we have many networked PC's throughout the College
    Whenever a student wants to print their work they can either choose a default Printer or choose from a list of other Printers.
    Unfortunately the default Printer is incorrect whereas the valid network printers cannot be seen
    We use canon all in one printers
    Any ideas ?

Thanks
    I have found with my Canon AIO pixma printer, drivers had to be installed on all PCs. My Pixma is wireless. it is hard wired through ethernet to my wireless router. My desktop is hard wired through ethernet to the router, whereas both of our laptops connect wireless to the router. All 3 can see the printer, and print to it. I believe the key in my case was to install the drivers for the printer to all PCs. I hope this helps.

As you can see I have Win 7 Ultimate and I also have Office 2010 (similar to Office 2007)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As all our PC's are networked, the drivers are held on a network server, and downloaded each time a student logs onto the system.
    We did think that student profiles not being refreshed may be the problem, so we deleted them all from individual PC's.
    Unfortunately no joy after being refreshed

Thanks
    Have you tried to actually install the printer driver locally on one or two PC to see if this helps? Is the default printer (which you state is incorrect) one of the networked printers? Is the default printer the same model as the other printers.

It may be off topic, by during a time I was playing with Linux, Canon was a problem child for Linux. Worked well on Windows, but would not under Linux. Had to use an app called Turbo Printer to solve the driver issue. I'm wondering if the networked printer issue could be similar. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,
    Default printer is one of the networked printers.
    not sure if we can manually load a print driver in our setup without taking a PC out of the network...maybe worth a shot if only to check if the driver is working correctly. if driver IS working then this points to a problem with the network load of driver software.......narrows it down I suppose.
    Our techy's must have tried this...... but then again, its worth the question!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Is this a domain or workgroup environment?

Is network discovery & printer sharing enabled on the Win7 PCs?

Have you checked the firewall on the Win7 PCs to make sure everything you need is allowed through?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi JoeP,

I believe we use a Domain environment

I dont believe network discovery & Printer sharing is an issue. Random PC's occasionally see the network printers and print normally

As this is a networked system running with a Proxy Server each PC does not have a firewall enabled. The proxy server will handle this

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same issue when I upgraded from Vista, to W7, my HP 1020 laser jet quit working. It was as if it was not even plugged in. Reloading the drivers did nothing. What worked was; Open "Control panel" then open "Devices and Printers", Next, right click on the printer in question, Then click on "printer properties," Now, click on the tab that says "ports", near the bottom you will see "enable bi-directional support," This box needs to be checked (on). For some reason the W7 install had this turned off. After that, I have had better results than ever with this printer. Hope this helps!

P.S. you may have to "Add" the printer(s) first if it isn't in "Devices and Printers."
    Ray P.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've now had word that this is a Windows issue that can only be corrected in the next pack release.

Anyone else heard the same ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you have TCP/IPv6 bound to the NICs, try unbinding it as long as you really don't use IPv6. IPv6 has been the source of some strange netowrking issues.

I have not heard about what is supposed to be resolved in SP-1. With the new networking features introduced in Windows 7, it would not surprise me that there would be quite a few networking patches included.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Seem to have solved the problem by not using DNS.....Printers are now found by IP address rather than logical name.

Anyone care to comment on DNS issue ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is guessing that your network configuration is being controlled by group policy. Check to make sure that the policy for Win7 is pointing to the correct DNS server.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP
    Yes, group policy is used, but as far as I know it was correctly pointed to a DNS Server....As, on occasion, when using DNS, the Printers would be successfully found by some PC's - but unfortunately not the same PC's !

Administrator
    Thanks
    See Troubleshooting DNS. You may have done most of the steps already but can't hurt to double check.

Also, have you checked the event logs on the client PC and the DNS server?

Joe
    Joe