Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if anyone else has experienced shutdown problems with Firefox 3.9 and 3.10? I noticed after upgrading to Firefox 3.9 that I was getting the old "Firefox has shutdown" several times a day, now I am on version 3.10 and the problem is probably worse than before. Using IE 9 as an alternate I don't have any real problems other than a couple of Beta niggles that are insignificant.

My OS is Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit. I have tried uninstalling Firefox totally and reinstalling from scratch but it didn't help. Of course Firefox's support is even worse than Microsoft's so they are useless.

Cec Britton

Thanks
    At version 3.6.10 I finally gave up on FF. It's interface was getting old for me. I use IE 9 beta or Chrome 6. very happy with both. FF 3.6.10 would not install properly, then once installed kept giving script errors. I did not need the hassles so good-bye FF.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Britton View Post
    I wonder if anyone else has experienced shutdown problems with Firefox 3.9 and 3.10? I noticed after upgrading to Firefox 3.9 that I was getting the old "Firefox has shutdown" several times a day, now I am on version 3.10 and the problem is probably worse than before.
    Are you running on a clean profile? Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows @ MozillaZine Knowledge Base.

If that works, then one of your extensions may be at fault, or a bad setting, or a corrupted file. Post back for suggestions on how to approach fixing that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I am running a new and clean profile. I did copy my old bookmarks file from the old profile and insert in the new one but everything else is new. My settings haven't changed in recent memory so I don't think that's the problem and since I did a clean reinstall I can't imaging a file being corrupted. The most likely of the possibilities you mentioned is a bad extension. I only use 8 extensions though and most are pretty standard things (AdBlock Plus, Autofills, Roboform, Java, McAfee Site Advisor, NoScript, Skype and Better Privacy. The only recently added one is Better Privacy but some of the others like NoScript are updated pretty often. I will start by disabling one at a time to see if I can find a source of the problem and if I do I will post my findings here.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    By any chance did you upgrade to AVG 2011 around the same time? As soon as I installed AVG 2011, FF started crashing multiple times each day. After I uninstalled AVG 2011, my problems with FF vanished.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Cecil, it's not just you. I too have suffered lately with Firefox 3.6.10 doing a sudden disappearing act, sometimes a few times in a day. I have encountered this only on my ThinkPad T61 with Windows XP SP3 at the office, but not on my ThinkPad R61 with Vista at home. I use a lot of add-ons, but disabled as many as I felt I could live without, but this didn't help. Today Firefox updated to 3.6.11, and I hope this will solve the problem. If not, I hope some other Lounge denizens will have some more bright ideas.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't installed AVG antivirus but if I found it interfering with and application I would remove the app, not the antivirus. I have tried removing add ons to fix the problem but nothing seems to work so I am enduring the problem until I get the next update. If that doesn't fix it then I will just do without Fire Fox and maybe give Chrome a try. I have IE 9 Beta on the computer and so far it looks great with the exception of a couple of things like my Roboform not working with the Beta. I'm happy to hear that FF 3.6.11 is out.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Within minutes of my last reply I received the FF update.

Thanks
    Cecil and Jonathan ...

Do your inadvertant shutdowns also occur when running in FF's Safe Mode? If so, it's not an extension problem.

I'm using XP Pro SP3, but have had only one problem with any recent version of FF (currently using 3.6.11) ... when opened from a link in a Thunderbird message FF opened with some of the 21 extensions I use disabled. Because FF problems usually result from a munged profile, re-installing FF didn't fix the problem.

Uninstalling extensions one at a time seems like the easy way to approach the problem, but it doesn't always work, as occasionally one extension can corrupt another.

Rather than uninstalling the extensions one at a time, uninstall all of them, then re-install them one at a time. It worked for me, and it could work for you.

Regards,

Jim
    Jim

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, thanks for the tip. I seem to have heard of Firefox safe mode but to be honest it never crossed my mind to try it out. Your suggestion of removing all and replacing one at a time is exactly what I would do in case of a Windows problem analysis but since I have another browser to turn to I never considered doing it with Firefox. Besides all that I am using only a few plugins and they have all worked fine on other versions of Firefox so I really don't expect them to be a problem that is correctable.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not having this problem and I use a number of extensions. But possibly to make it slightly easier, you can first do the big test by starting Firefox in safe mode and see if you have the same problem. Then you'll more quickly know whether or not the problem can be attributed to extensions.

ed

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. To clarify, I do not use AVG and have not tried Firefox in safe mode. But after updating to 3.6.11, my Firefox didn't crash at all yesterday... so I'm hoping the problem has been solved and I won't have to give up any of my much-appreciated add-ons. I'll know for sure in a few more days.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it's been about 24 hours now and since installing the latest update I haven't had a Firefox crash. If I can make it through about 72 hours without a crash I will assume the problem was with Firefox code and that it has been fixed.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It has been 3 days now since I upgraded to Firefox 3.6.11 and I haven't had a single crash so it looks like the upgrade fixed the continual crash cause. Now I am sure it was not the extensions that were the root source of the problem. Hope everyone else is so lucky with their problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Same here -- no crashes since the update. Hooray!