New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to watch my collection of HD video's recorded (UDF disk format) on DVD's as .mpg files.
    Can an External USB DVD drive be connected to the HDTV's USB port to display files and view them.
    This would be similar to connecting a USB flash drive, which does work on my tv now.
    And if not are there any other ways to attach a DVD drive????

Being able to go directly from the disk would be a lot easier than copying files on a computer, (which is very time consuming).
    And of course my video HD quality should not be reduced.
    Thanks-Bob

Thanks
    Very unlikely, with a media center PC maybe, but it would be very likely undoable with a television.
    Top 10 Home Theater PCs
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, very unlikely that the HDTV has the capability to run an external DVD drive. If it runs .mpg from flash drive, chances are it will from a larger portable hard drive. Also many DVD players will accomodate straight .mpg files these days. Otherwise you will need a "smarter" device like a media PC in all likelyhood to play them through to the HDTV.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not to sound impertinent but did you check the owner's manual that came with the TV to see what it said about the USB port?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Would something like this do the job?
    Western Digital WD TV Live Network-ready HD Media Player

Available from Newegg for $84.99 with FREE shipping. (Only for Subscribers. Promo Codes Exclusively for You! (Promo codes expire 10/14/2010)
    Newegg Columbus Day Deals

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys but I have thought of or have used all the above suggestions except the DVD player that reads mpg files.
    All these suggestions involve copying files from the DVD to other devices including the PC it's self before playing the mpg file.
    Also I suspect that the playing of mpg files on a DVD player will reduce the HD quality to DVD quality before sending it to the HDTV.
    If I am wrong about that please let me know, it's somthing that's not usually in a product spec.
    At some point I was hoping Blue-Ray players would read DVD disks with mpg files at full resolution. It's not rocket science to add this software to the player
    Thanks a million - Bob G.