Thread: extra folders ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    when I copy photos from my camera to a new folder on the desk top, it makes a new folder for each picture, plus copies the picture.
    how do i stop it from making all those folders ?

Thanks
    Give us more information on how your are physically transferring your photos from your camera to your computer and if there is any
    third party software involved. Walk us through what you are doing.

I use the Windows 7, 64 bit operating systems native built in plug and play features for digital cameras and have not experienced the issues with folders that you are referring to.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try letting Picasa 3.8 manage you photo collection if you're so inclined. It works very well, lets you know if the picture is already on the disk, lets you create and name only one folder if desired and such and such. Very refined at this point.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My new Sony Vaio has a slot on the front of it for my SD card, I open the card with explorer in a window, then open a new folder on the desk top
    and cut & paste the pictures from the SD card to the new folder on the desk top.
    that works fine, but as soon as the moving is done, Automatically there is a separate folder made in side
    the new folder I made for each picture. ??
    so inside the folder I made are all the pictures, plus a separate folder for each photo, and inside each
    separate folder is 2 files, a small copy of the picture and another file, I dont remember what it is.
    maybe some kind of indexing ? I don't want it to do that.
    Thanks for any help or ideas

Thanks
    Although I don't have or use an SD card reader, I do use the USB cable of the camara to transfer photos onto specified target drives.
    Try allowing the photos to be transfered without any form of copy and paste via the auto play function.
    When the Auto Play kicks in, attempt to fine tune it's folder location properties. With my setup, the photos are sent to the pre specified target location and
    the photos are placed in a single folder with a date stamp name.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I use an SD card reader built into a USB thumb drive, but I don't put anything on the desktop. I have a separate partition for my pictures, and in that partition are folders and subfolders that let me locate my pictures quickly and easily for later processing.

I don't cut and paste, and I don't use the auto-play. I open Windows Explorer, click on my thumb drive SD reader, then I merely select groups, copy, drag and paste to my partition/folders. I only format my SD card with my camera after I've copied all the photos from it.

I haven't had the multiple folder problems that you describe.

What is the make and model of your camera? There may be additional attributes on your photo files that are put there by the camera.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My camera is a Nikon D-90, I have used this same method of transferring photos for years on my windows XP pro machine
    this Sony Vaio is the Windows 7 pro 64 bit operating system ??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Blum View Post
    My camera is a Nikon D-90, I have used this same method of transferring photos for years on my windows XP pro machine
    this Sony Vaio is the Windows 7 pro 64 bit operating system ??
    Since this isn't your XP Pro machine, and the method you've used for years is now causing annoying side effects with your Sony Vaio with Windows 7 Pro, you might consider trying a different technique just on the off chance that it might not cause the annoying side effects.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows