Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Problems placing figures in a document

This is driving me crazy![img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I will try to be succinct...

I am working on a report for a client which is going to be published which has several figures located on "specific" pages throughout the document. For instance, when the text "mentions" Figure XX on page 3, they want Figure XX to be on the next page (in this case, page 4) all by itself, with the text continuing on page 5. They also want the text in two columns and justified, with different odd and even footers.

No matter what I try, I can't seem to do this. I have tried using frames and text boxes, I have tried playing with section breaks and page breaks, I have tried everything I can think of, to no avail. What I end up doing is pushing the figure to the next page when I continue entering text, or the figure moves in unexpected places (like on top of other figures). I am not exactly a neophyte at this, but this is driving me nuts!

Anyone out there have some ideas for me to try? There must be an easy way to do this, I just haven't found it!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!! Save me from myself!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problems placing figures in a document

I'm just going to describe one way to deal with the paging, picture positioning, and page reference. I don't understand where you mean the columns to be, so I'm not including that in my reply.

At the end of the text before the picture, insert a section break, next page.

On the new page, insert your picture. Right click the picture, format picture, on the position tab, untick float over text. With the picture not selected, insert a bookmark, hidden. You have to name it.

Insert a section break on that page, next page.

Back on the first page, where you want the page number that the picture is on, insert field, pageref; under options, select the bookmark name.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Like Wendy I'm not too sure about the column thing - is the entire document in two columns? I'll ignore this part of it at the moment.

I may have an easier way than Wendy's to reference your pictures. After you have inserted them and made them unfloating as per Wendy's post, select the picture and then Insert | Caption | Figure
    Then to cross reference the picture: Insert | Cross Reference | Reference Type: Figure and select the type of reference you want (ie page number, caption text, figure number).

Now, to force the picture to be on a new page you need to ensure that it is in a paragraph with the style set so that there is always a page break before the paragraph.

Format | Style | New
    Give the style a name and then select the Format button. Paragraph formatting, line and page breaks gives you the option to set a page break before the paragraph.

Hope this helps
    Karen

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Karen and Wendy, for your suggestions. I am working on them now. But my problem seems to be because the document is two columns throughout it's length (like newspaper columns). Let's see if I can clarify this. Visualize Page one as two columns full of text which continues on to Page 2 for several sentences. What I need is for the several sentences to continue onto Page 3 INSTEAD of Page 2--with my Figure on page 2 all by itself. I can get the figure on a page by itself, but I can't seem to put it on the actual page I want it on. Does that make sense? I'll check back tomorrow and let you know how your suggestions worked.[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Besides the fact that you are doing this type of layout in the wrong application you can actually do this in Word but it is not bullet-proof for you adding text or graphics near there.

If the graphic spans both columns then you probably need to float the image and have a look at the method of text wrapping and what the anchor properties are tied to and how they are described. The anchor is attached to a nearby paragraph and may be described as positioned relative to page, paragraph or column. What then happens if the anchor paragraph moves is what you need to pay attention to.

Adding text between the graphic and it's anchor can have what appears to be an odd effect but you need to understand the anchor properties to work it out.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello, Snazz -- In general, all seem to agree on the basic "hows" to get this done, and from your question, you seem to have a pretty good idea.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] However, I don't know if you're working on Word2000, 97, 95 or (Heaven forbid) something earlier.

I also agree with Andrew, that although Word is capable of these types of layouts... that doesn't make it the best choice.

That said, please take a look at the attached, which was quickly thrown together in 2000 (but to verify compatibility, I saved to 6.0/95).

First, format document in 2 columns. At the point you want to break your text to start the next page for figure, Insert / Section Break / Continuous (this will make your columns equal length); then immediately insert 2 next page section breaks. You now have a blank page on which you can insert your figure. I didn't do figure, caption and cross-ref 'coz I figure you already know how if you're doing a technical document... and, well... I'm lazy. But you get the idea.

HTH!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Karen

New Lounger
    Thanks

So, are you and Andrew saying I should consider using Microsoft Publisher? And if so, don't I lose some of the functionality of Word, like automatic page numbering (with numbers like iii), and automatic Tables of Contents, Lists of Tables/Figures, etc.? IS Publisher used for technical reports? Or is there a better product to use?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Karen,

It's me again. I forgot to mention I am using Word 2000 (SR-1). I have worked with your suggestion and so far it seems to be better than anything else I have tried. I did manage to open the document in MS Publisher and play with it a bit. It was MUCH easier to place figures, but it also lacks several things which make formatting a technical report easier (such as various types of page numbering and making Tables of Contents, etc).

Anyway, thanks again to ALL who have made the effort to help me...it is very much appreciated. I hope to have time to visit this forum and give my "two cents" occasionally!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Snazz,

I think the problems you're having really relate to the two columns, and forcing the picture to always be on a page by itself - Karen's solution works well and I can't think of a more automatic way.

I have used Word for many technical manuals with pictures/screen dumps etc, however we always use a one column format with a wide left margin, and paragraphs indented from the headings to give plenty of white space.

Publisher definitely won't give you the text capabilities of Word, and even its text flow from page to page can be a pain.

You might want to look at one of the desktop publishing packages - CorelDraw, Pagemaker etc.

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Karen</font face=comic>[img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img]

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Some possible packages to do complicated layouts in are:
    Quark Xpress
    Adobe Framemaker, Adobe InDesign & Adobe Pagemaker
    Ventura Publisher
    Microsoft Publisher
    Interleaf

Each has benefits and drawbacks and most cost big $ and have huge learning curves.

I personally try hard to avoid Word for layout type jobs where you mix column setups. It is a capable enough tool but other packages offer many benefits in layout control.

The best advice if doing it in Word is to do your layout last. Get all the words and graphics together in the document with styles but no layout applied and then go through the document to lay it out as you want it. Major edits in a Word document with multiple layouts are problematic and require detailed knowledge of how Word works.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

deba

My company has this problem too. Our current standard report format is two columns (and until now we have done it using Quark Express operated by trained pagesetters), but it is now policy to provide all staff with a Word template to do the same job. There's no problem designing a basic template, but creating one that allows images to be dropped in without messing up the two column format has proved a big headache.

Can it be done in a way that allows an unskilled user to create the required output, or is it just too difficult? Given the nature of our business, our product etc etc, there are good reasons for wanting to move to a Word solution, but maybe we're asking too much?

Thanks

What you could do is creating a textbox on the page where the picture should be and make sure the textwrap is top - bottom.
    If the textbox is slightly bigger than the text area is moves all the textlines to the next page. Put your picture in the textbox.

I hope this could help you
    Greetings,

Patrick Schouten
    (The Netherlands)

AndrewG

One way I haven't seen posted is to use linked text boxes... This is especially usefull if you are setting up a template. You can specify the exact layout of the columns in borderless text boxes and link them in any order... If you have the text in another document, copy and paste into the first text box and it will flow through the linked text boxes. If you have a separate page with your figure on it and the text boxes continue after that page.

I have attached a very very simple example...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Some interesting ideas here. I tried your suggestion, AndrewG, to see how it would work. While it's a little tricky to format the text boxes, that part can be done

You suggested that setting up a template would work. I may be missing something, but it seems to me that you wouldn't know, in advance, where to interrupt the text boxes with the pictures. And if you later added more text, the placement of the text vs. the pictures would change.

I'm probably missing something, so if you would care to explain further, I'd be interested.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We have resolved this problem fairly elegantly by writing a single macro to (a) create a text box with the required defaults like no internal margins, etc; ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] pop up a dialog box asking user to specify figure file name; retrieve and place the figure into the text box; (d) capturing the height and width of the figure as variables, and (e) applying the value of these variables to the dimensions of the text box within which the figure is contained.

All this is done seamlessly : the users only click a button which runs the macro called Insert Image, and then provide the path and name of the figure to be inserted. Often, we even hard-code the path in the macro so that, for a particular job, the user has to choose from a list of figure files meant for a particular job only.

The figure is placed by default at one corner (top left or bottom right) or centred at the bottom or top of the page, depending on the job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast