Thanks
    Today I upgraded my 10/100 ethernet/wireless G home network router to a 10/100/1000 ethernet/wireless N home router. My two ethernet-connected PC's had no problems, but I could not get my daughter's new HP laptop to join the Windows 7 home network. I ran the troubleshooter countless times to no avail, and kept running into unspecified/unrecognized problems with the home network. The HP had internet access, but could not see any of the other computers on the home network.

I searched online fruitlessly for a solution. The instructional software that came with the router said that any computers that were sleeping or turned off would not be updated, and my Latitude D800 was hibernating. I did not think that would interfere with anything, just that I would save that one for last.
    When I got tired of beating my head against the wall with the HP, I decided to try my luck with my old D800. I woke it up, ran the USB-loaded router update software, tried joining the home network, and it hooked up slick as a whistle!

I then tried my daughter's HP again, and it hooked up with no problems! We got my son's Lenovo going when he got home from school.

The moral of this story is that if you have an existing home network that you decide to upgrade with a new router, make sure all the existing PC's on the old network are up and running before you try to upgrade.

For whatever reason, the wireless side of the network wants to see everybody before it will update anybody.

The new router, by the way, is a Linksys E2000, but the router wasn't the problem; it was Windows 7 Home Network that was kicking my butt.

And I must say, gigabit ethernet rocks.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thank you for sharing his, hope it save time for many.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One other way to restore connectivity is to go "cold".
    1. Shutdown every net-enabled device on your network.
    2. Working from the Cable or DSL modem (or internet connection sharing PC)
      power up downstream devices in sequence
    3. Everyone should be recognized and work.
    If there are problems after the cold startups
    • Check the net configuration of each device
    • If the device is wrong, do an ipconfig release renew sequence
    • You may need to release renew the DHCP address of the router
    As a last result, most ISP's tech support folks can reset your modem remotely.

I have seen some chatter in various places where folks have wireless N issues, and many of them seem to be fixed by adjusting the wireless technical settings on the router. I've seen various fixes (and have not had to use any of them) on multiple sites.
    Check out Linksys, firmwares and community sites like
    I will have a better feel for Windows 7 wireless after I finish building my new Win7 box from the bare metal. I plan to use my Linksys WUSB600N dual band USB dongle on it, even though I have Gig wired as default.

/s/ BezantSoft

Thanks
    If you'll re-read my post, you'll see that there was no problem with internet access or wireless connectivity. I had internet access immediately.

The problem was with the Windows 7 Home Network. That's why I posted in the Windows 7 forum instead of the Internet/Connectivity forum.

As I posted, once all the devices that were in the network before the router upgrade were awake and running, Windows 7 rebuilt the Home Network. Until that point it kept having unknown/unrecognized problems.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows