Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm trying to help a friend who has a ThinkPad laptop running XP. For some reason it cannot locate any wireless connections whereas there are several in her area (I see them on my laptop). When I open the wireless connection window it shows no connections. The wireless power is on, I've checked the wireless device in the hardware list and it indicates the driver is functioning normally. Is there something else that's missing? Looks to me like a software problem or perhaps some software is missing or disabled, but I can't find it. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
    Hi Chuck, if you have a copy of the wireless drivers, remove/replace them.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately the lady doesn't have her source disk. Is there somewhere I can download the drivers?

Thanks
    Go on the makers site after looking in the BIOS for correct model number. I have just finished doing 2 Acer Aspire laptops, which had different model numbers.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unless the laptop is extremely old it shouldn't be a problem connecting if the wi-fi is indeed switched on. Is XP fully patched because if not this might be one possible cause?

Graham

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Everything on her computer checks out including both the NIC and wireless hardware. They both report that the driverrs are installed and running properly. . I even directly connected the laptop to the cable modem, but although it recognizes there is a connection and IPconfig shows an IP address. It still doesn't connect. So I'm guessing that her computer is missing some critical software somewhere. Unfortunately she doesn't have her original XP disks, and without connecting I cannot download and install updates.

Thanks
    Chuck, is there any errors showing in device manager ? Go to http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si.../homeLenovo.do now insert model number in search box to d/load missing drivers.
    If none of above help try disabling the firewall.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. The device manaager shows that both the NIC and Wireless hardware are working normally with appropriate drivers installed. Also, as I mentioned before IPConfig reports what looks like a legitimate IP address. I'll try turning off the firewall next, as she is running some AV program that I didn't investigate.

Thanks
    Chuck, I may seem like a silly question, is the wireless button switched on, on the laptop ?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It's not a silly question, but I did make sure wireless was turned on. I'm now wondering if I should have uninstalled whatever AV program she has installed. Some months ago I was helping another lady whose laptop wouldn't wirelessly connect. I finally gave up on her wireless problem, but I noticed that her Norton AV was up for renewal and I advised that there were free ones available and she opted for that. So I uninstalled Norton and her wireless connection popped right up! I'm not a great fan of Norton or McAfee.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tucker View Post
    Unfortunately she doesn't have her original XP disks, and without connecting I cannot download and install updates.
    I even directly connected the laptop to the cable modem, but although it recognizes there is a connection and IPconfig shows an IP address. It still doesn't connect.
    So if I got you right, it looks like the wireless connection is not the issue as it won't work using Ethernet either, has this laptop ever been connected to the Internet, if so what XP service packs are installed? It was a long time ago but I seem to remember from personal experience that when XP first came out there issues when connecting to a network that involved a lot of fiddling around to solve (I have a vague recollectiuon of having to set a unique static IP address) but most of these were sorted when the service packs came out.

Graham

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It's about two or so years old running a fully updated copy of XP and it had connected successfuly in the past. I don't know it's recent history other than the gal's brother has been fiddling with it lately, and I don't know what he has done. I have advised her to uninstall whatever AV program she has running and see if that relieves the problem (I regret not doing it myself at the time). It's been my experience in the distant past that some AV's interfere with access to the Internet (perhaps their firewall). I'm waiting to hear what happens in that case.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The brother finally found a button on her laptop that enabled it to restore XP from (I suppose) a copy on some partition on her HD. In addition, he replaced an older cable modem. Now everything works. Thanks for all the advice.

Thanks
    Well done. [attachment=90305:gdpit_com_96762789_544.gif]