Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but I can't see any other that mentions .Net. I've accumulated four versions of .Net, from 1.1 to 3.5 as time and upgrades have gone by, and my question is: Is there any way to tell which versions I can safely get rid of (apart from removing them and running every app I have)? They take a fair amount of space and can carry security issues, so I'd like to just run the latest version, but I'm not sure whether the earlier versions are still necessary

thanks

rdl

Thanks
    Hi rdl,

Some software require a specific version of .Net Framework to run correctly. I would be very careful about attempting to uninstall any earlier versions. If .Net gets messed up, it is a real undertaking to completely uninstall and reinstall what you need.

I do not believe it to be a cost effective use of time for the potential gains to attempt to identify what software on your computer needs which version of .Net and then removing what appears to be unnecessary. If you miss one, you could have more problems IMHO.

Check out this thread, particularly Post 7 by Joe P for troubleshooting links concerning .Net uninstall problems, and others, if you decide to uninstall any .Net versions. Pay particular heed to Joe's recommendation to back up your hard disk. Doing an image backup can save your bacon if something goes amiss.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rdl@globalnet View Post
    Hi all
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but I can't see any other that mentions .Net. I've accumulated four versions of .Net, from 1.1 to 3.5 as time and upgrades have gone by, and my question is: Is there any way to tell which versions I can safely get rid of (apart from removing them and running every app I have)? They take a fair amount of space and can carry security issues, so I'd like to just run the latest version, but I'm not sure whether the earlier versions are still necessary

thanks

rdl
    i have to agree with Mr. Shepard there, leave it as it is.