Thanks
    I recently wiped my HD clean and re-installed my XP home os.
    Downloaded and installed all up dates.
    Now when I go to a site that I have gone to many times in the last few years with no problems.
    I have no problem getting to the sit and surfing through it but to open a streaming video I get this message "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded"
    I'm not trying to download anything, just open the video.
    That happens when using IE8.
    I tried doing the same thing using fire fox and all I get is a page filled with a code of some sort.
    I use AVG free antivirus and my security setting is set at Medium.
    What security setting is this message reffering to?
    I have even gone to Internet options>privicy>sites and typed in the URL of this site to allow it hoping that would fix the problem.
    Is there something in some of the IE updates that is causing this?
    Hope I'm making some sort of sense.
    Please reply.
    Catz

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you open a file for streaming it does at least some local temporary caching so it is downloading in a way.

I think you may be missing the ActiveX control to play/stream video. Did you ever get the browser alert bar along the top of the page to download or install the ActiveX control the first time you tried to stream? If not or to further troubleshoot go back to Internet Properties and under the Security tab click the Reset all zones to default level button and under Advanced tab, click on the Reset... button and apply that (it looks like this also resets the Security zone settings but no harm in doing it twice). Then after restarting IE and going to the streaming page, see if you get that security prompt to install the ActiveX control bar when you try to play something.
    Also be sure there are no popup blockers in effect that might block such content.

If none of that helps then try Google Chrome, which unlike Firefox and IE, should support this content from the install, so if it doesn't work there then the problem is probably not browser-related.

Thanks
    You can dl the latest flash player here;Adobe Flash Plus don't forget to install the latest java Java
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Thanks Byron and Chowur for your replies.

I tried every thing you asked me to do and it still would give me the same security alert.

I even went as far as turning off the pop up blocker and that did not help.

So I checked my Java and it was up to date.

Last thing I did was install Google Chrome and BINGO I could open the video, but it takes a while to download even with my Comcast HSI and it opens with Real Player .

That is going to take a little getting used to.

What is odd is, this only happens on this one site.

Could IE8 have some sort of bugs in their updates?

And what has happened to Fire Fox?

They were always the alternative answer to IE8.

Have they gone the way of IE8?

Shame, shame

Thanks again guys.
    Catz

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It could be the website's use of the Real Player. Do you have the full downloadable Real Player installed on your system? Just don't see that many websites anymore that still use the real player. At least I don't run across many, if any.