Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have Windows 7 Professional running on a 64-bit box. I tried to save a Word 2010 document to an external drive, but I got the error message Error: 0x8007052: A required privilege is not held by client.. I don't understand this because last night I had no probelems when I saved data to the external drive. What must I do to correct this problem. I looked up the error on Google, but I found no substantitive information.

Thank you.

Moon

Thanks
    Check the ownership on the external drive. There seem to still be some Windows 7 quirks with external drives.

Make sure you have ownership and full privileges.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Check the ownership on the external drive. There seem to still be some Windows 7 quirks with external drives.

Make sure you have ownership and full privileges.
    The quirks are more likely that the user account is not the builtin Administrator and does not have full admin privileges. So, the OS is just doing what it should do when there is security set on the target device/folder/file.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I tried without success to establish ownership and full privileges. So, I formatted the drive. Now I am able to save data to it. Thank you for your responses.

Moon

Thanks
    Moon,

Do you save the data directly to the Ext HD or do you save it to a data area on your Int HD then back it up to the HD? The second option may be a better alternative because this will give 2 copies of the file, the original and the back up. Backups and images are great ideas to get in the habit of doing. I would also suggest a separate partition for the data to allow the OS to be restored without messing with the data. Sorry to have gotten off topic slightly but the info in my first point seemed very appropriate.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,

I have3 been saving data directly to my external hard drive. I will give your second option a try when I add an external 1 TB drive. I will allow that to be my backup drive among other things.

You suggested that a separate partition for the saved data to allow the OS to be restored without messing with the stored data. I think I have these partitions already, but I do not know how to "read" them. Please note the following:

1. My OS (C contains my operating system.
    2. My Data (D drive is an internal hard drive.
    Additional drives (or partitions?) are:

3. Recovery (E
    4. HP_Tools (F
    5. System (H
    6. My OS (I is an extternal hard drive
    7. Recovery (J
    8. HP_Tools (K

I understand what C:, D:, and I: are. The remainder I am not sure of their function, though I believe that E: and F: are partitions of C:.

Moon

Thanks
    I understand what C, D, E and F are, but have no idea why or what H, I, J, or K are. Are I, J, and K backups to your C, E and F on the Ext HD? Have not a clue what the H drive is.

Was this PC bought new with Win 7? From reading other threads I do not believe so. The E and J partitions are recovery for the original OS (Perhaps XP or Vista) and can be elliminated since you should be Imaging your HD to create backups and using these Images to restore if you have a problem. The recovery partitions will recover to the original factory installed OS, not your Win 7 OS. I have elliminated the recovery partition and used a 3rd party partitioning app (Partition Wizard) to reclaim the recovery partition into the main partition. I can see keeping one copy of the HP Tools partition, but 2 copies? I would also get rid of the copy of the HP tools partition (K) and the System partition (H) and reclaim this space as well, but that's me. I hate to waste space, even small amounts.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,

You wrote that but have no idea why or what H, I, J, or K are . I was able to talk to HP Technical Support. The tell me that those drives are associated with the raid system that came with this computer. I have heard a lot about Raid. Now it seems that I have one.

Thank you for your help. Have a Good one...

Moon

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Moon, have a sunny day.

You wrote or at least quoted Ted as saying : >>> have no idea why or what H, I, J, or K are

I saw this too when I got this Acer about one year ago and they are the four slots on the front of the tower that accept different small cards from CF to SDHC. Is this your case too ?

Looking at My Computor, this is what I see here:
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was able to talk to HP Technical Support. The tell me that those drives are associated with the raid system that came with this computer.
    That HP tech has no idea what they are either. I think he/she was blowing smoke. I have worked with a lot of raid drives and never seen a raid system that gave one drive two drive letters......

Raid does exactly the opposite. It turns two (or more) drives into a single volume.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jean,

Mine read differently. They are as follows:

OS (C [Hard drive containing Windows 7 Professional)
    DATA (D [Internal hard drive)
    Recovery (E
    HP_Tools (F
    System (H
    OS(I [This is an external hard drive)
    Recovery (J
    HP Tools (K

Meryh, I took notice of your remarks and, as a result, will do further digging to find out exactly what is what.

I thank you both.

Moon

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Moon,

It is possible to give a [s]drive[/s] partition two letters at the same time....

could you post a screenshot of disk management from that machine?

IN the search box type disk manage then click create and format hard disk partitions.

you can use the snipping tool to take a picture of the resulting window and upload it to your post. It seems like this machine may have had a factory restore done on it and the old partitions were not wiped in the process.

With the above you can see which disk the partitions are on and if they are actually separate partitions or not...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning 1130.

Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Jean,

Mine read differently. They are as follows:

OS (C [Hard drive containing Windows 7 Professional)
    DATA (D [Internal hard drive)
    Recovery (E
    HP_Tools (F
    System (H
    OS(I [This is an external hard drive)
    Recovery (J
    HP Tools (K
    They are bound to be different as per what you have attached to your machine, I only wanted to point out that the slots on the front of the tower as I have on mine, are all getting one letter to identify them. My tower has four of these slots, therefore I get after the C:, D:, E:, F:, the I-J-K-L. I do not know where the G & H are, except that if I plug in some USB keys they show up there, as G & H.

Do you have these slots on the front of your tower ? Looking at your quoted letters, I think that you are looking at a "clone" of your machine, from the H:/ you are looking at repeaters, the J:/ and the K:/ are there to show that they are twins of the ones in your machine. I would fancy that H:/ and I:/ follow the same trend.

Have fun. Jean.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mercyh,

I typed disk manage but I got no create and format hard disk partitions. I used the Snipping Tool to take a picture of what I got, and I saved it in my Pictures folder. However, I do not know how to insert it into this dialog.

Jean,

I have a notebook (HP Envy) not a desktop. So you will have slots that I don't have.

Moon

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I typed disk manage but I got no create and format hard disk partitions.
    ?? Well then, go to start-control panel-system and security the Click Create and format hard disk partitions under the Administrative tools heading.

Ted did a small tutorial on posting pictures here:

http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...dpost&p=859546

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast