New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a battery failure, where Windows shutdown improperly. I would like to do a chkdsk, but for some reason it doesn't work. When I try to run it in Windows, of course, it says it needs full access to the disk, so would I like to run it the next time the systems starts. This part I understand. However, it never actually runs when the system restarts. As a test, I attempted to run Disk Defragmenter. This continuously tells me that chkdsk is scheduled to run, but of course nothing happens. I can't run chkdsk /f in any of the safe modes either. It will run as "check only" and finds errors, but it doesn't like the /f option since it still wants full disk access. Any ideas?

Thanks
    You could try the /X rather than the /F.
    "Chkdsk /X: A new command parameter that runs Chkdsk /F and forces a volume dismount to close open file handles on non-system volumes so it can be checked immediately. This eliminates the need of a potential reboot in order to perform the Chkdsk and repair the volume." This link also works on XP;M$
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had that happen to me a few years ago and it drove me crazy. It turned out ZoneAlarm was preventing my chkdsk from running.
    I had to uninstall ZA in order for chkdsk to run at startup..I am now using Comodo and no longer have that problem. I would hope ZA
    has addressed that problem by now, but one never knows. Also there might be something else or another firewall causing it on your PC.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe Sica

New Lounger
    Thanks
    chowur: Unfortunately, its the system volume that I need to check.

Joe: I'm already running Comodo. I did shut it off and reboot, but that didn't help

Thanks anyway....

Thanks
    Run your checkdisk from a boot disk. You can troubleshoot why your not able to get it to run normally later.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.