Thread: RegSeeker 1.55

2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks
    I had been using the free RegSeeker from Hoverdesk for many years on XP machines (through all service packs) and have had no adverse issues/problems with it. I recently upgraded to a Windows 7 computer and I would like to be sure that it is OK to use RegSeeker on that OS. I started to run it once and was getting literally thousands of invalid registry entries which made me very leery so I aborted. So, once again, is it safe to use RegSeeker 1.55 on Win 7. If RegSeeker is not appropriate, what registry cleaner (preferably free, LOL) would be recommended or is it not necessary to clean the registry in Win 7 in the first place. Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks
    I can find no info about this app being updated for Win 7. Try CCleaner for your registry cleaning needs. It has gotten very good reviews in these forums.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Here we go again.

I recommend NOT using a registry cleaner unless you are absolutely sure your PC has a problem. You are much more likely to cause problems than avert them with a cleaner. With Vista & Win7, in particular, there is no performance benefit from removing entries using a registry cleaner. If anyone says otherwise ask them for the empirical performance data.

I am also sure there will be others posting shortly who swear that registry cleaners are the best thing since sliced bread.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Exiled,

This topic has been discussed to death in other threads. Check out those threads for more discussion than it deserves.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    Exiled,

This topic has been discussed to death in other threads. Check out those threads for more discussion than it deserves.
    No program that is uninstalled by the correct method (or any other method) does a very good job or removing all traces of the program in the registry.

The main advantage, to me, is the ability in RegSeeker "find in registry...". No other free registry cleaning/repair program allows you to enter a name and search the entire registry for that name and delete those entries with one click.

But, you are correct in saying if you don't know what you are doing, don't do it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ruraltexan View Post
    No program that is uninstalled by the correct method (or any other method) does a very good job or removing all traces of the program in the registry.

The main advantage, to me, is the ability in RegSeeker "find in registry...". No other free registry cleaning/repair program allows you to enter a name and search the entire registry for that name and delete those entries with one click.

But, you are correct in saying if you don't know what you are doing, don't do it.
    Fred Langa has recommended jv16 power tools for this, as well as, other reasons. I hope that hasn't changed.
    Secondly, registry crawler is a great program for searching the registry.
    nJOY!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sanyama View Post
    Fred Langa has recommended jv16 power tools for this, as well as, other reasons. I hope that hasn't changed.
    Secondly, registry crawler is a great program for searching the registry.
    nJOY!
    Are you the same sanyama having problems with your registry?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows