Lurker
    Thanks
    I am running windows 7 home premium on my laptop and can't rember my password for Administrator . My wife and I have been running as users for better protection because of a recommended from windows secrets and it has been about eight months and need help to find a way to put a new administrator password in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Paul,

You can download a Knopix Linux Live CD image from the internet that has a Windows Password reset program built in. I've used this method for years to fix forgotten passwords.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lurker
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Paul,

You can download a Knopix Linux Live CD image from the internet that has a Windows Password reset program built in. I've used this method for years to fix forgotten passwords.

Thank you for the info but this looks to complicated for me and I am not sure if i need all the files or just some and what order to start with.
    I did start to try to make the boot disk with the first file (cd100627.zip) and I could only get it to add the file and not able toburn the image?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Papineau View Post
    I did start to try to make the boot disk with the first file (cd100627.zip) and I could only get it to add the file and not able toburn the image?
    Paul,

You have to unzip (right click the .zip file) the file to get the .iso {disc image} file out then burn that to the CD.
    I've attached some screen shots to help you get through this.

1. Open your download directory and find the .zip file {I renamed mine as I downloaded it so I know what it is...the names they use are always so cryptic}.

2. Right Click the file for the context menu and select "Extract All..."

3. Click the "Extract" button this will place a folder in the download directory that contains the unzipped files. The folder name will be the same as the zipped file name.

3. Open this newly created folder.

4. Right click on the .iso file.

5. Select "Burn disc image" {make sure you have a blank cd in the drive. I like to use CD/RWs so if I goof up I can erase it and start over}

6. In the Windows Disc Image Burner window check the "Verify disc after burning" check box then click "Burn"

7. When the CD ejects remove the disc and click "Close"

8. Re-insert the CD and restart your system. Watch your startup prompts, on my Dells I have to press the F12 key to get the startup options menu which allows me to tell the machine to boot from the CD. Your machine may automatically sense the CD and boot from it.

9. Follow the prompts of the program carefully and read all the information once it starts asking for your input. Initially you have to press ENTER to get it to boot, then a bunch of Linux startup messages are displayed {you can ignore these} when they stop you'll have to start answering questions based on the information displayed on the screen. The default selection will follow the prompt in square brackets [ ].

I hope this is enough to get you started. I tested this on my Win 7 64 Bit Desktop and my Win XP SP-3 desktop and all worked clearing the password and allowing me to boot w/o entering the forgotten password. On my Dell laptop it failed the first time I used it because it identified the wrong partition as the boot partition. When I re-ran it and paid more attention to the prompts {see 9 above} I noticed that the partition identified as BOOT was too small to be my Windows partition {moral it pays to know the size of your partitions!}. So I selected the 2nd partition and everything worked as it should.

I hope this helps and good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Paul -

Burning a CD from an ISO sounds like a daunting task, but it's really very easy. Follow RetiredGeek's steps exactly, and you'll have it burned in no time.

As an added bonus, the next time you stumble upon an ISO file, you'll know what to do with it!
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    At one time I forgot windows password. I created a windows password reset disk with a program from http://www.windowsloginrecovery.com/ and I successfully reset the forgotten password with the disk.