Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hope this is the correct place for this email question. Our ISP uses gmail for our email, which has been fine till now. I'm not sure if the problem is DSL Extreme, or gmail, but the time next to an email in the inbox is off by about 10 hrs. For example, if an email came at 1 pm today, the time shown is about 10 hrs later. Does anyone have this problem? DSL Extreme worked on it Wed after I called, and could duplicate and see the problem; they supposedly fixed it and yesterday it seemed to be corrected. Now today it's off again. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Love View Post
    I'm not sure if the problem is DSL Extreme, or gmail, but the time next to an email in the inbox is off by about 10 hrs.
    Google suggests checking your Windows time settings: The wrong time is listed for messages - Gmail Help. Gmail time may or may not be linked to the time zone you set in Google Calendar settings. I didn't see any time zone setting for Gmail itself.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Google suggests checking your Windows time settings: The wrong time is listed for messages - Gmail Help. Gmail time may or may not be linked to the time zone you set in Google Calendar settings. I didn't see any time zone setting for Gmail itself.
    Both the Windows and Google Calendar settings are correct for my time zone. The problem is that this issue comes and goes as of the last few days. Today it's correct. I'll keep pursuing it. Thank you for the suggestion.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Annie
    I have a slight variation of this error. I also use Gmail, our own domain via google Apps. outlook 2007, Vista. For some weird reason, emails from one domain name (and one only) always arrive with a date in January of this year. So the email might be sent 30/9/10, but in Gmail and in Outlook 07 is shows up as 30/1/10!

Google Apps support are working on it and we have checked the usual suspects of time zones, certificates and firewalls/proxys. This error is replicated on another of our PCs running XP and Outlook 2003 using an email address through gmail (Google Apps).

Interestingly, the problem is only occuring when we receive an email from a particular domain. Every single other email we receive is dated and timed correctly.

We also use Google Apps Synch to sync our Outlook with our Gmail accounts. When we imported in our historical emails into our Gmail account, it also changed the dates/times for these particular emails to January! The Archive pst that I didn't import still shows those emails with the correct date/time. So the problem is coming from Gmail or Google Apps Sync.

I'll be interested if you find out anything more as Google App support have been working on this problem now for over a month and they don't seem to have cracked it yet.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Email from a single domain with the wrong date stamp will be caused by the mail server at that site having the wrong time or time zone.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suppose everyone knows by now that it was a Google problem. It took many days, but it is supposedly fixed now. I just happened to find the forum at Google and it was actually comforting to know that others had the same problem, although differing time gaps. Mine was always 14 hrs. ahead, others had many variations. You'd think Google would have let someone know, such as our ISP who obviously contracts with Google for their email! Let's hope this is the end of the problem!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Email from a single domain with the wrong date stamp will be caused by the mail server at that site having the wrong time or time zone.
    cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul

Unfortunately its not as simple as that. When we received the emails through our non-Gmail email, the dates displayed correctly. Since we have changed to Gmail, all the emails received from this one particular domain have the date mashed to January of the same year. It is definitely at the google end of it, but as yet I have no resolution for it.

Cheers
    Glynne

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I was rashly assuming the email client read the time stamp of the sent email. Obviously that's too difficult for the clever folk at G. ;-))

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    I was rashly assuming the email client read the time stamp of the sent email.
    Well, the sent time usually is accompanied by a time zone offset, so you can see how errors might creep in when adjusting the displayed time to the user's time zone...