New Lounger
    Thanks
    One of my employees upgraded her machine from Office 2000 to Office 2003. In the process Outlook seems to have deleted her pst file. There is currently no pst file at all on her current set up.

A little more background:
    Machine is Windows XP SP3
    Old pst file was in the standard location C:\Documents & Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
    After the upgrade it remembers things like her email signature and her email account settings and password, but the inbox, contacts, calendar etc are all gone and there is currently no new pst file in the "standard location". The best I can tell is that there is an outlook file (no extension...file name is simply outlook) that resides somewhere in a folder under the *MAPI* folder. Forgive the lack of clarity on that one. I'm not at her computer to pin down that location or the complete folder name. Anyway, I did notice that if I sent an email or added a contact and then closed Outlook down, the 'outlook' file would change the modification date to the current time. That may not mean anything but I'm at a total loss. I haven't been able to find anything about this online.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would search the hard disk for PST files, just in case it's hiding. Which reminds me, you need to check for hidden files as well.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry...I forgot to mention that I've already done that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parker View Post
    One of my employees upgraded her machine from Office 2000 to Office 2003. In the process Outlook seems to have deleted her pst file. There is currently no pst file at all on her current set up.
    Try closing Outlook and using the Mail control panel for better insight on the locations of the current data files.

As for the old data file, hopefully it will turn up somewhere. I don't suppose there is a backup?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks jscher2000. I was able to confirm that the Outlook file (with no extension) is in fact where outlook is housing what would normally be the pst file. It is located at: C:\Program Files\common files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\outlook

How would I go about moving it back to the normal location and making it an actual pst file? Would it be easiest to export out the inbox, calendar etc and then try to create a new pst file and import that in? I'm not sure I've every tried to do anything like that before or how you would go about doing that...just thinking out loud I guess. Any ideas are appreciated. Oddly enough the archive.pst file is right where it should be.

And unfortunately no...she did not back it up prior to upgrading...or ever for that matter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mparker72 View Post
    It is located at: C:\Program Files\common files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\outlook

How would I go about moving it back to the normal location and making it an actual pst file? Would it be easiest to export out the inbox, calendar etc and then try to create a new pst file and import that in?
    That's probably a good idea. You can use File > New > Outlook Data File to create a new PST file, then copy (rather than move, just in case) the contents of the existing folders into the new ones. Once that is complete, you hopefully can close Outlook and use the Control panel to eliminate the old data file from the profile.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mparker72 View Post
    Thanks jscher2000. I was able to confirm that the Outlook file (with no extension) is in fact where outlook is housing what would normally be the pst file. It is located at: C:\Program Files\common files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\outlook
    Could it be that Windows Explorer is not set to display file extensions? Tools | Folder Options | View | Hide extensions for known file types.

Joe
    Joe