Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a new Windows 7 user.

I'm dumbfounded. Windows 7 search is really bad!

It can't even search the contents of native .doc files. I tried!

What other hoops do I need to jump through?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Did you change the search index to include the locations on E:?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    How many indexed ffiles are shown when indexing is complete? As seen, I chose all locations possible on bot OS and Data partitions and have over 29,000 files.

[attachment=90264:Index1.png]

I also would choose all file types under search options. The original search will take a while, mine was over 1/2 hour, but the search results are far better when all locations and files are indexed.

The other option is to use a 3rd party tool for searching such as Search Everything by Voidtools. This has received some good results from other Lounge members.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I did title this "windows 7 search FAIL! Or, is it me?".

And it looks like it's me!

It looks like I ran the search too soon after making those changes I did above.

Windows 7 Search now is finding "text" inside Microsoft Word Documents.[attachment=90265:Untitled 1.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    You do have to let the Win 7 indexing finish, and it does take a while, but when done, I have found the Win 7 search is pretty effective.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Zadik View Post
    I'm a new Windows 7 user.

I'm dumbfounded. Windows 7 search is really bad!

It can't even search the contents of native .doc files. I tried!

What other hoops do I need to jump through?

Brian,
    Hello.. Hold on as i have to apply my "Woopin Helmet" to respond to your post..... OK it's securely in place ...Here goes
    Yes windows 7 Search... lets see.. oh yes now i remember IT STINKS ! Download and install this "Everything" (free)http://www.voidtools.com And configure to select what drive you want to scan \ search...... Now never use "Windows Search" ever again. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Brian,
    Hello.. Hold on as i have to apply my "Woopin Helmet" to respond to your post..... OK it's securely in place ...Here goes
    Yes windows 7 Search... lets see.. oh yes now i remember IT STINKS ! Download and install this "Everything" (free)http://www.voidtools.com And configure to select what drive you want to scan \ search...... Now never use "Windows Search" ever again. Regards Fred
    Fred,

I did provide a link to this in my post #3 above. I do not seem to have the problem with Win 7 search that some others have, but have also installed Search Everything. As many others do, I like to have options for the apps I want to use. Cheers, Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Fred,

I did provide a link to this in my post #3 above. I do not seem to have the problem with Win 7 search that some others have, but have also installed Search Everything. As many others do, I like to have options for the apps I want to use. Cheers, Ted
    Ted,
    Hello... Sorry i missed that bit... I love "Everything" and in my enthusiasm, just wanted to pass it along.. It's a great program that you don't have to jump through any "MS" hoops.and works much better as you can set it up any way that you want .... unlike the "one size fits none MS approach" .... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi Brian,

Unless something has changed in the Everything search program, it does not search file contents. So if you need to search file contents, you should find Windows 7 search to work very well. It has for me. Everything works very quickly, but only searches file names. Windows Search is geared toward user file content.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all of your help.

Just curious after noticing that Windows 7 can't search the contents of PDF files. What do you think is a good way to search the contents of proprietary .pdf files? Do you use the Adobe PDF iFilter 9 at http://tinyurl.com/a5gjyd

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Zadik View Post
    Thanks for all of your help.

Just curious after noticing that Windows 7 can't search the contents of PDF files. What do you think is a good way to search the contents of proprietary .pdf files? Do you use the Adobe PDF iFilter 9 at http://tinyurl.com/a5gjyd
    You must use an ifilter to index PDf files in Windows search. The Adobe Ifilter is fine to use. If you don't like Adobe check out Foxit - PDF ifilter. It is free for desktop use and has both 32-bit & 64-bit versions.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

Thank you!

-Brian

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Joe,

Thanks for the link to the Fox-It IFilter!

A note to anyone who wants to install this program...IGNORE the installation instructions on the website! These are for server installations only! For the desktop only version you just need to register, use the link in the email they send you to download the program, then run the .msi file. That's it!

Less filling works great!!!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    fyi: as of 10/11/2010, "Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms" does not support Windows 7. Here's their response, "I regret to inform you that we have not tested it yet on windows 7 platform."

I had made the mistake of not believing their website that omitted Windows 7 from the system requirements:
    "System requirements
    Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms has been tested with following operating systems and applications.
    Desktop environment
    • Microsoft Windows XP x64 with Service Pack 2: Windows Desktop Search 3 and 4, Windows Indexing Service
    • Microsoft Windows Vista® x64 with Service Pack 1: Windows Search 4
    Server environment
    • Microsoft Windows Server® 2003 x64 Edition R2 with Service Pack 2: SharePoint Server 2007, Exchange Server 2007, Windows Desktop Search 3
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64 with Service Pack 1: SharePoint Server 2007, SQL Server 2005, Windows Search 4"

I guess it's off to Foxit