Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife has become an avid Mahjong Titans player on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop. Consequently, she was quite disappointed to find that it was not installed on her new netbook running Windows 7 Starter. I've searched the Microsoft games sites and have not been able to find a copy to download, either for free or to buy. Does anyone know of a source, or if it's even possible, to install Mahjong Titans on a Windows 7 Starter netbook? I'm not willing to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium just to get the game, because Windows 7 Starter provides everything else we need on the netbook.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Donald,

I have not researched Windows 7 Starter Edition to see if it includes the standard game set. However, Win7 Pro by default hides the games, and maybe the Starter edition does as well. To check, go to Control Panel>Programs and Features>click Turn Windows features on or off on the left side of the screen. It may take a few moments to come up, but you can check out the features that are currently turned on or off. Normally Games will be seen at the top of the list. If you see it and there is no check in the box, then place one there, click OK and Windows will begin the unhide process, which takes a little time. You can also expand the Games folder by clicking the '+' sign to select only the games you want to unhide, in case you do not want them all.

If you find no games folder, then it is not included in Starter.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I re-checked and confirmed that all of the games are turned on. There are only 6 games included with Windows 7 Starter. They are Free Cell, Hearts, Minesweeper, Purple Place, Solitair, and Spider Solitair. My Windows 7 Home Premium laptop also has Chess and Mahjong Titans, in addition to the Internet games which I've disabled. It would be great to have both Chess and Mahjong Titans on the netbook, but my wife doesn't play chess. If MS is holding out those two games as incentive to upgrade to Home Premium, I don't think they're worth paying $80. Besides, we'll never use Media Center and a few other features in Home Premium on the netbook. So why fill up the small hard drive with unnecessary data just for two games?

Thanks
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    It's a shame MS did not include all the games available in Windows 7. But it looks like Ted found some good possibilities for you. It would be a good idea to install a Web trust advisor like Web of Trust or another such program (unless you already use one) that rates web sites as to safety before you go to sites offering free games. Sometimes, there can be more than "a game afoot!"
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Had the same problem with my Samsung N210 netbook so I found a free alternative and I was not disappointed. Give a try to the free windows 7 mahjong from Poculis at http://www.in-poculis.com