Thread: IE9 Beta Blues

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, so I decided to test IE9 beta. Yeah, I know about all the warnings.

Win7 64-bits had installed both IE8 32-bit and IE8 64-bit on my machine, but I only use IE8 32-bit. How about a test: replace IE8 64-bit by IE9 64-bit beta. Couldn't hurt me.

Nasty surprise: both IE8 64-bit and IE8 32-bit (!) were removed during the installation of IE9 64-bit. After a short test I decided I can't use IE9 yet. Some sites that are important to me can't handle IE9, or is it the other way around?

I really needed IE8, so I started searching on Microsoft.com. Another nasty surprise: there is no such thing as IE8 32-bit for Win7 64-bit. At least not as a downloadable thing. Anybody still with me?

It was time to roll back to a point before the installation of IE9. No problem. Except that Kaspersky started complaining about a licence file that had been corrupted. Can't really blame Microsoft for that, can I? In the end I installed a new version of my AV-program, so I ended with something positive. Did cost me a couple of hours though.

Thanks
    Han, Welcome to the Lounge, it's always nice to see new perspectives.

This is exactly the type of situation where an up to date image would have gotten you back to where you wanted in about 15 minutes. Whenever I am going to try a beta app (I do this a LOT) I create an image just before installing the beta. Then if I decide the beta is not for me, good-bye and 15 minutes later or less you would never know I had tried something new.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Han Kempen View Post
    OK, so I decided to test IE9 beta. Yeah, I know about all the warnings.

Win7 64-bits had installed both IE8 32-bit and IE8 64-bit on my machine, but I only use IE8 32-bit. How about a test: replace IE8 64-bit by IE9 64-bit beta. Couldn't hurt me.

Nasty surprise: both IE8 64-bit and IE8 32-bit (!) were removed during the installation of IE9 64-bit. After a short test I decided I can't use IE9 yet. Some sites that are important to me can't handle IE9, or is it the other way around?

I really needed IE8, so I started searching on Microsoft.com. Another nasty surprise: there is no such thing as IE8 32-bit for Win7 64-bit. At least not as a downloadable thing. Anybody still with me?

It was time to roll back to a point before the installation of IE9. No problem. Except that Kaspersky started complaining about a licence file that had been corrupted. Can't really blame Microsoft for that, can I? In the end I installed a new version of my AV-program, so I ended with something positive. Did cost me a couple of hours though.
    All you really needed to do was uninstall the IE9 beta which is a Windows update not an installed program - Control Panel | Programs | View installed updates. Look for Windows Internet Explorer 9. Select it and click uninstall in the menu bar.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

Thanks, but I didn't realize that at the time. I was trying to use a combo of IE8 32-bit and IE9 64-bit and that seems to be impossible. At that point I should have uninstalled IE9 and IE8 would have returned without any damage to Kaspersky.

Han

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Internet Explorer 9 64-bit browser does have two versions, one installed in the x64 layer and the other in the x86 layer. I had two icons perched on my desktop for IE8, one for the 64-bit and one for the 32-bit browser. Both worked correctly after the install of IE9! The icon for your 32-bit browser is in the start menu and you can pull it out onto the desktop. Make sure to change the icon so it looks different. That way you can see at a glance which browser you are starting. I renamed both icons as well so that I could see which is which. If when you start the browser and there is no flash, that's the 64-bit version. Look for your 32-bit version in your start menu and you'll have the flash items all there! Note: the Google Toolbar and other Flash items do not need to be changed from those used in IE8. They should be the same and work the same...at least in theory! There are differences however! No broweser crashes as of this point, the software does seem to be stable! I still feel some work has to be done to get the "look" of the interface a little less "utilitarian" which it does definitely looks that way now.