Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Win7 on a laptop that shipped with Vista. It seems that since I installed the new OS, the machine does not recognize the SD slot. I insert the card, expecting the machine to automatically launch the photo gallery or something, but nothing happens. I open Computer, and the drive doesn't appear. I suppose this has something to do with a driver, but I don't know how to proceed from here.

I just now noticed that my laptop "needs troubleshooting." Two problems appear: My HP printer and "mass storage controller." The printer seems to be working fine. It's an HP all-in-one photo printer (C6200 series), so I don't know what's wrong there. I've no idea what "mass storage controller" means. I ran the troubleshooter, which searched for new drivers for the printer and the mass storage controller. The first time, the troubleshooter failed to find a fix for either problem, but a second pass appeared to find a fix for the printer. Even so, in "Computer," the lapton still displays the troubleshooting icon for both the printer and the mass storage controller.

Can someone please show me how to fix the problem. Thanks!

Thanks
    I went from XP to Win7 and had similar problems, but my solution was to download and install all of the Vista drivers, including the SD Card Reader. You might want to look on HP's driver page and try downloading and re-installing the latest driver.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! I'll try that. For what it's worth, I got into a chat session with a Gateway support person, who told me this laptop "was not built for Windows 7." I ran Microsoft's little utility to make sure my machine would handle Win 7. I don't recall whether the results said anything about the mass storage device, but my machine did pass the Win 7 test.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar3 View Post
    Thanks! I'll try that. For what it's worth, I got into a chat session with a Gateway support person, who told me this laptop "was not built for Windows 7." I ran Microsoft's little utility to make sure my machine would handle Win 7. I don't recall whether the results said anything about the mass storage device, but my machine did pass the Win 7 test.
    You might take another look at that little utility and see if it offers a link to additional sources. It usually does if they are available, and all you have to do is follow the link.

Thanks
    I installed Win7 on a laptop that shipped with Vista. It seems that since I installed the new OS, the machine does not recognize the SD slot. I insert the card, expecting the machine to automatically launch the photo gallery or something, but nothing happens. I open Computer, and the drive doesn't appear. I suppose this has something to do with a driver, but I don't know how to proceed from here.

I just now noticed that my laptop "needs troubleshooting." Two problems appear: My HP printer and "mass storage controller." The printer seems to be working fine. It's an HP all-in-one photo printer (C6200 series), so I don't know what's wrong there. I've no idea what "mass storage controller" means. I ran the troubleshooter, which searched for new drivers for the printer and the mass storage controller. The first time, the troubleshooter failed to find a fix for either problem, but a second pass appeared to find a fix for the printer. Even so, in "Computer," the lapton still displays the troubleshooting icon for both the printer and the mass storage controller.

Similar here, Sony laptops with Vista, upgraded to Win 7. I went to the Sony website for my models (2 PCs) and downloaded drivers for memory cards. All is now well. They just needed drivers and Sony support provided them correctly.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone who replied! I downloaded the Vista driver for the card reader, and bingo!

Interesting side note: I chatted with a support person at Gateway. He told me he was sorry, but my laptop "was not built for Windows 7." Furthermore, fixing this problem was not within his powers. However, he graciously offered to connect me with the team who could walk me through fixing my problem...for a fee. I declined the offer.

Anyway, my card reader is working just fine. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone who replied! I downloaded the Vista driver for the card reader, and bingo!

Interesting side note: I chatted with a support person at Gateway. He told me he was sorry, but my laptop "was not built for Windows 7." Furthermore, fixing this problem was not within his powers. However, he graciously offered to connect me with the team who could walk me through fixing my problem...for a fee. I declined the offer.

Anyway, my card reader is working just fine. Thank you!
    Just another way the PC manufacturers are trying to make a buck. Glad you did not fall for that one!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

whenever you install or upgrade OS make sure you will have all the drivers installed for MOBO, video card and the likes etc., and make sure it will support your new OS..Thanks