4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have an HP Envy 17 running Windows 7 Professional. An HP Service Representative told me that I should not get the automatic Microsoft updates as long as my computer was running OK. I had a PC running XP Pro and I got regular Microsoft updates and never had any problems. I now ask Windows Secrets Lounge if it is best that I get the regular Microsoft updates, and if so, how do I find the Microsoft Automatice Update feature in Windows 7 Professional?

Thank you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes you should, the benefits far outweigh the risks and something like imaging or a simple system restore can quickly get you out of a bad update if one comes along.

Get to it by Start>>All Programs>>Windows Update and change any settings as far as how and when you want updates to occur.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Byron. I set my Windows Update to 3 AM everyday.

Thanks
    What I do is have Microsoft Update notify me when updates are available, then I simply choose when to download and install them. This way I can check the updates first. This also allows me to look at and choose optional updates as well. Normally the automatic updates only includes critical updates so you may miss some outstanding optional updates.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should always get and install the security updates (unless you like dealing with an infected PC ). Optional updates you can ignore unless you really need them. For hardware updates, I recommend ignoring the ones from the MS update site and getting them from the manufacturer instead.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may want to consider whether or not you want all the updates...because Microsoft sends out not only updates for Windows, but also updates for their software, such as Microsoft Office. I set my automatic updates to notify me bu let me choose the updates I want. Then I look them over and take only updates that indicate Windows Security Update, or Windows Update. If my software is running fine, I don't update it.

Good luck...
    bertie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bertie91,

Thank you. How do I set my updates to notify me that updates from Microsoft are available so that I can choose which ones I want?

Thank you.

Moon

Thanks
    Open Windows Update (Start Orb, All Programs, Windows Updates) On left side of window Change Settings, Important Updates drop down box, Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy