Thread: Post Problems

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was in the middle of restoring an Acronis disk image when the system failed. I tried to do this again and it failed. After that the computer failed to go into POST - no beeps nothing. I disconnected the DVD drive and hard drives still no POST. I then took out both Memory sticks and this time got a continuous series of long beeps. I tried the memory in different slots - nothing. I got another memory stick - no beeps. I then removed the graphics card and the memory, the PC wouldn't even power up. If I put a memory stick in I get one long and two short beeps - the Gigabyte motherboard manual tells me this means a graphics card problem. From this description can anyone suggest what might be the problem - Motherboard, memory, power supply, CPU, graphics card? I've never had a situation so bad that I haven't got to Bios.

The computer is over 4 years old and I was planning to get a new one next year. My Windows system was on a dedicated hard drive and I have two other I TB hard drives one for data and one for backup. I've been using Acronis 9 to make disk images and have a copy of Acronis True Image 2010 (I think) plus corresponding Plus Pack. I bought it via download and never installed it or made a boot CD. Assuming I can't rescue my old PC I suppose there is absolutely no way of using the new True Image to transfer an old image to a new computer? One of the things that has stopped me moving to Windows 7 is the thought of having to reinstall my software. My most heavily used software is CorelDraw 12 and I don't think it will run very easily on Windows 7. I have CorelDraw X5 but Corel made changes to the basic way the software works which destroyed my workflow. If I do move to Windows 7 I was thinking of moving to 64 bit.

Sorry, this is starting to ramble (wee hours of the morning). Can anyone help me get my old computer working again or suggest steps to find out what is wrong? It's a Gigabyte P35 DS3R motherboard with 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 memory, nVidia geforce graphics card (exact version not to hand). Thanks,

Chris

Thanks
    You might be able to use your Acronis 9 to get the old image onto a new PC, but I would not suggest doing so simply because you will most likely have Win 7 on a new PC. I would bite the bullet and work with Win 7 and reinstall your apps, then start using Acronis True Image Home 2010. Be sure to create a rescue media disk ASAP.

Several possibilities can cause your problem. I would think the order of problems would be power supply, CPU, then graphics card, then RAM. Before trying anything though I would replace the CMOS battery and see if this helps, then start looking at power supply. Usually if graphics card or RAM starts to fail you get some kind of warning, but if power supply fails, the PC "may not post" because supplied voltages are not correct to allow anything else to work. Hope this helps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If a couple simple swaps don't have a positive effect (power supply, graphics card), I would take the system to a competent repair shop if you don't have the testing equipment and ability to swap components to find out what exactly went wrong. You have the image to restore from once the system is repaired which the tech should be happy to do. Its a situation where you are ahead of the game because you have that image.

One of the few complaints I have about Acronis is that it usually does not maintain compatibility between versions so 2010 will probably see Acronis 9 images as corrupt, BUT if you registered your purchase of 9 with Acronis, I think you can go there and download that version or its update. Someone would have to verify that though since I use the small business versions which could have a little different support plan.

Even if you went to a new computer there is still the possibility of eventually restoring that image to a partition on the new system (though it will require the Universal Restore component most likely) for use there OR converting the image to a virtual OS and using it that way. Are there any support sections which say CorelDraw12 wont run or run well in 7? If not, chances are it will be fine or perfect even. I run some programs that are 10-12 years old, ones I would never expect to be accepted because they change some graphical interfaces with 7 and also PhotoDraw 2000, which didn't work in Vista, and they all work just fine, in 32-bit Windows 7 at least.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I took out the CMOS battery and put in a brand new one. Regarding CorelDraw I searched their forums and people have been having problems. Regarding Acronis version 9 I have a boot up disk and also a copy of the installation program on my backup hard drive. How would I go about converting the image to a virtual OS? Would it be possible to get Windows 7 64 bit and set up a virtual XP to run my old set up? Or should I be looking at duel boot - something else I am unfamiliar with. It's a nuisance that the computer crashed while doing a restore as it means I only have images to work with. This is a particularly busy time and I need to get up and running as quickly as possible. A complicating problem is that I am in Japan but do not want to get a new PC with a Japanese OS. If I forked out for Ultimate would I be able to completely switch to English? My old system was also heavily customised and I spent hours getting all the applications set up as I wanted them. If there is any way of using an image to get a version of it running again then I am all ears.

Chris