Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So, today Microsoft will officially announce the new Windows Phone 7. Some people say that this will be another contender for the iPhone and Android in the smartphone arena, maybe the only other contender excluding Nokia's Symbian. However, other say that Microsoft are already to late, and there is not much they can do to get back in the game, that they just waste time and money for nothing.

Personally speaking, the new Metro UI looks quite promising, and the focus of it on daily and routine activities(email, incoming text messages, calendar etc) instead of applications the so-called "openness"(Android) definitely appeals to me, much more

What is your take on Windows Phone 7?

Thanks
    My phone contract expires next month and as a current Windows Mobile user, I will look closely at Windows Phone 7. However, I am wary of anything "brand new" as I expect it will have a lot of bugs at the outset. Despite the version number, I think the OS was largely rewritten and bears little resemblance to Windows Mobile 6.x.

Thanks
    Ummm, this could hold me back for a while: Copy & Paste coming to Windows Phone 7 in Early 2011 | Windows Phone Central. Well, at least it won't take two years like some other platforms.

Thanks
    I spoke my thoughts here:My link
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It's all hype! ;-))

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    It's all hype! ;-))

cheers, Paul
    Please explain

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It's new and they want you to remember/buy it so they (advertisers) post as much blurb as possible, much of it designed to make you think you need this gadget. Unsurprisingly you don't need it, but if they told you that the manufacturer wouldn't make any money.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's new and they want you to remember/buy it so they (advertisers) post as much blurb as possible, much of it designed to make you think you need this gadget. Unsurprisingly you don't need it, but if they told you that the manufacturer wouldn't make any money.

cheers, Paul
    Why do you think that we don't need Windows Phone 7?

Thanks
    Most people who "need" and are willing to pay for a smart phone can get by with any of the current platforms (in the U.S.: Android, BlackBerry, iOS (Apple), Symbian, webOS, or Windows). However, that doesn't mean they're all the same. As long as it remains civil, discussion of the relative advantages and disadvantages of these platforms is welcome.

Of course, if you don't need (or want) a smart phone, then it will look like hype to you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since the phone isn't actually for sale yet no one really knows how it will work for them. Paul Thurott at winsupersite.com really likes the OS and out of the 9 phones being released he says only one really stands out. Check out his site for more information.

Other than Microsoft not wanting to miss the Christmas shopping time, there doesn't seem to be a logical reason to release a smart phone without cut and paste. It's like iPhone initial release all over again. They have the technology but consciously chose not to release it. This looks suspiciously like their first rendition of Windows Phone OS is actually a beta release.

I love my Android based phone. It does everything I need it to do and more. I'm sure this new phone will fill another niche in the smart phone market.
    What if your local back-up disks are stolen or damaged (fire, flood, earthquake)
    What are you going to do?
    LOCAL and OFFSITE back-up - the only true way to protect your data.