2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is the old situation:
    WinXP with O2k7 including Outlook for a POP3 account.
    New situation:
    New pc with Win7 and the Home & Student Edition of O2k10, which does not include Outlook.
    My internet provider uses Outlook Web Access for their webmail. I would like to transfer my old e-mails and folders to the OWA environment so that I can get rid of the old pc. Is there any way to do this? Or will I have to shell out for an upgrade just to get Outlook 2010?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MauryS View Post
    This is the old situation:
    WinXP with O2k7 including Outlook for a POP3 account.
    New situation:
    New pc with Win7 and the Home & Student Edition of O2k10, which does not include Outlook.
    My internet provider uses Outlook Web Access for their webmail.
    That's bizarre. Outlook Web Access is a feature of Microsoft Exchange Server. Did you change mail servers as well, or were you previously accessing the same Exchange Server as a POP3 server?

I would like to transfer my old e-mails and folders to the OWA environment so that I can get rid of the old pc. Is there any way to do this? Or will I have to shell out for an upgrade just to get Outlook 2010?
    I think you need a mail client that can connect to an Exchange Server account. Outlook is the best bet because the mail you need to copy is already in Outlook format, but there might be others if you "shop around" on the web.

Is your old PC already out of commission? If not, I would try to add the Exchange Server account there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Up until now I used Outlook as a client for POP3. But since Outlook is no longer part of the O2k10 Home package, on the new system I have to use the web mail of the provider, and that is OWA. Do you know of any other mail clients that could use the PST file from Outlook? The old pc is still available, but somehow or other I need to make the move to the new pc, and if at all possible without incurring great expense or loss of saved mails.

Thanks for the help!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi MauryS,

I'm a little confused as is jscher2000 (the same questions popped in to my head when I read your situation. Could we clarify a few things.

1 ) Are you using the same email provider?
    2 ) Are you certain the webmail interface is "OWA, Outlook Web Interface"?

The confusion comes from the fact that OWA is an Exchange Server specific feature. So if you were connecting via POP3 before there shouldn't be a reason why you cannot continue to use POP3 now with a replacement email client of the free variety such as Windows Live mail or Mozilla Thunderbird etc.

Once we've clarified this we can look at migrating settings and old content such as email/contacts etc.

Thanks
    Do you know of any other mail clients that could use the PST file from Outlook? The old pc is still available, but somehow or other I need to make the move to the new pc, and if at all possible without incurring great expense or loss of saved mails.
    I'm not aware of any other mail software that can read a PST file; however, if Outlook is installed and running, other programs can use Simple MAPI to request the messages from Outlook (Import .pst files - MozillaZine Knowledge Base). That sounds a bit slow...

If you are interested in using Windows Mail, which is supplied with Windows 7, you should be able to use Outlook Express, supplied with Windows XP, as an intermediate format. OE can import from Outlook into its own mail file format. The question is whether the standard conversion to Windows Mail (Import messages to Windows Mail from other e-mail programs) works on a different PC. That I have not researched.

If you don't want to use Windows Mail, there are many other POP clients to choose from...

Thanks
    Why not install Outlook 2007 on the new PC. Many office packages allow two installs.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who answered. The decision has been made, we're just going to buy Office 2010 with Outlook.