Thread: Windows Phone 7

Thanks
    I've been somewhat following the Windows Phone7 and when MSFT said it would be AT&T only at this time I was dissapointed because I use Verizon. But WTH might be time to switch! Ok I can live with that.
    During all of this I never heard once anything about Outlook! Surprise! Windows Phone 7 doesn't / won't sync with Outlook, unless you are on an Exchange Active Sync? Instead it only connects to Zune!
    Now I cannot believe MSFT would do something like that so I dug deeper. And VOIL! it's true. It appears <notice I said appears, because I'm not done searching yet, that if you want to sync your Outlook with Windows Phone 7, then you must: 1: have a windows live id, and 2: must install the Hotmail Outlook Connector, and then copy your contacts to your live account!
    I have been putting off getting a new phone, waiting for this one to come out, because the Windows phones have always (well almost always) done what I need and want.
    I must say that if what I am seeing and reading is true, then I am truly dissapointed.
    It appears to me that we really are being pushed on all fronts into "Cloud Computing", and that this phone is more a socially connected phone than anything else.
    Just my HO, and if I'm wrong please let me know!

How to Sync Windows Phone 7

PS: Can anyone tell for certain whether or not Maple Syrup need to be refrigerated afte opening?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    It is my practice and HO that only honey can stay out of the refrigerator after breaking the factory seal.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    I've been somewhat following the Windows Phone7 and when MSFT said it would be AT&T only at this time I was dissapointed because I use Verizon. But WTH might be time to switch!
    If you want to use a new phone based on the venerable Windows Mobile 6.x (with a new name), Motorola has announced the ruggedized ES400 for Sprint and AT&T. I'm assuming they wouldn't remove the USB [s]email[/s] contacts/calendar sync feature, but it's a bit soon to tell.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    I've been somewhat following the Windows Phone7 and when MSFT said it would be AT&T only at this time I was dissapointed because I use Verizon. But WTH might be time to switch! Ok I can live with that.
    During all of this I never heard once anything about Outlook! Surprise! Windows Phone 7 doesn't / won't sync with Outlook, unless you are on an Exchange Active Sync? Instead it only connects to Zune!
    Now I cannot believe MSFT would do something like that so I dug deeper. And VOIL! it's true. It appears <notice I said appears, because I'm not done searching yet, that if you want to sync your Outlook with Windows Phone 7, then you must: 1: have a windows live id, and 2: must install the Hotmail Outlook Connector, and then copy your contacts to your live account!
    I have been putting off getting a new phone, waiting for this one to come out, because the Windows phones have always (well almost always) done what I need and want.
    I must say that if what I am seeing and reading is true, then I am truly dissapointed.
    It appears to me that we really are being pushed on all fronts into "Cloud Computing", and that this phone is more a socially connected phone than anything else.
    Just my HO, and if I'm wrong please let me know!

How to Sync Windows Phone 7

PS: Can anyone tell for certain whether or not Maple Syrup need to be refrigerated afte opening?
    I hate to be the one to say this but:

1) You HAVE to "sync with the cloud" to sync your Outlook to your WP7 (or, if you prefer, a Windows ME equivalent it is so bad).

2) To sync with "the cloud" you need to have internet access, obviously.

3) WP7 does wireless networking ONLY with the help of DHCP so if you are in a business and too silly to manually apply IP addresses to your valid network users, you dont get wireless networking.

4) To sync ANYTHING AT ALL, you need Zune. Zune costs extra money.

So let us compare that supposed "Iphone killer" OS with the actual Iphone OS in those areas. Iphone WILL:

1) Sync via the USB cable from your computer to your Iphone. It syncs email and contacts but I am not sure about tasks. I never bothered with a task sync.

2) Doesnt need Internet access to sync.

3) Will use DHCP or will easily allow manual IP address setup.

4) Requires ITUNES to sync and that costs nothing.

So, here I am, a small business man (I mean that as small business, not stature, funny guys! ;-}) and I live in an area where Internet access is a problem because of electrical storms no matter if you use wireless broadband or wired broadband. I need to sync my laptop and phone so I dont have to keep lugging the laptop with me. I cant do it without internet. Which phone OS would YOU consider better in my case?

Take this into account, too. Many small businesses are handman types, some do lawns as in mowing, edging, you name it and some are painters and such and some of those people not one bit interested in the inner workings of computers or anything I.T. related past that which, as a user, they need to know. They dont want wireless broadband because it is another unjustified cost but they make appointments all day and put them on their phone. As a safety precaution, when they get home they want to sync that to their computer and they may have internet access or it may be down or as in the case of some people, they dont have internet access at all. Iphone still works for them flawlessly. Why wont Microsoft's own WP7?

I got my HTC Trophy with WP7 a few weeks back and my wife's old Iphone 3G does better than my new Wp7 and has for years. Even the teenagers I have shown it to are less than impressed.

I work in I.T. and I have to say I am not in the least impressed and am recommending to all that they give WP7 a miss and go Iphone. It's easier, works well and you dont have to pay for the software to sync it with your Windows based computer, either.

In the end, this is one more Microsoft OS that makes Apple richer.

Thanks
    Dave,
    I have been doing my research before I jump form Verizon to either T-Mobile or AT&T, here is what I have learned as per what you have listed:

According to Microsoft Answers you Do Not need a Zune Pass to sync your files, data,photos, music to your W7 Phone. Just like iTunes, the Zune desktop application is FREE
    All W7 phone come with a USB Data / Charger cable. you can use this cable to sync the above while NOT connected to the internet whether it be your home, office, or Wi-Fi.
    This will sync your e-mail, calendar and contacts, etc.
    I downloaded the User guides for both the Samsung Focus, and the LG Quantum, and have read through them,

If you or anyone else wishes to do so you can download those .pdf user guide files here:

SkyDrive: Windows 7 Phone User Guides .
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyjoin View Post
    I work in I.T. and I have to say I am not in the least impressed and am recommending to all that they give WP7 a miss and go Iphone.
    Why are you commenting on a 3+ year old thread about an OS that is not available on a new phone?

Joe