Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Outlook 2010 running under Windows 7. When I first installed it, if I opened Outlook then right-clicked the Outlook icon on the taskbar, a menu popped up similar to this:
    [attachment=90287:Right-click pop-up menu.jpg]

But it used to have some additional entries above the three entries shown, along the lines of "New Outlook email", "New Outlook appointment", etc.

As you can see, they're no longer there, so I guess I've somehow turned them off. How do I get them back?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    If you have disabled or removed "Number of recent items to display in jump lists" or have used CCleaner recently, that may have removed the entries to which you are refering to.
    It looks to me like they are part of the operating system's recently viewed items or programs/jump list.

Most any programs or apps used to perform disk cleanup will surely remove recent items unless otherwise configured not to.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David Paul View Post
    I have Outlook 2010 running under Windows 7. When I first installed it, if I opened Outlook then right-clicked the Outlook icon on the taskbar, a menu popped up similar to this:
    [attachment=90287:Right-click pop-up menu.jpg]

But it used to have some additional entries above the three entries shown, along the lines of "New Outlook email", "New Outlook appointment", etc.

As you can see, they're no longer there, so I guess I've somehow turned them off. How do I get them back?
    You need to have the program pinned to the taskbar to get the extra items. From your attachment it is currently not pinned.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    If you have disabled or removed "Number of recent items to display in jump lists"...that may have removed the entries to which you are refering to.
    It looks to me like they are part of the operating system's recently viewed items or programs/jump list.
    It was disabled. I've enabled it and recent items are now appearing when I right-click taskbar icons. But still no "New Outlook appointments" (etc).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    You need to have the program pinned to the taskbar to get the extra items. From your attachment it is currently not pinned.
    I pinned Outlook and rebooted, but the items still aren't there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    UPDATE: I've just rebooted after installing Windows updates (including a security update and a definition update for Word, which may not be pertinent) and one (but only one) of the four entries has returned. Now when I right-click the Outlook icon on the taskbar I get these options:
    New Outlook contact
    Pin this program to the taskbar
    Close window
    It's a mystery to me.

Thanks
    It still doesn't appear to be pinned to the task bar.

Have you tried clicking on "Pin this program to the taskbar" ?

EDIT: This is how Outlook 2010 under Windows 7 looks like on my PC

Are you sure that you are using the same?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, what you've got is more or less what I used to have! Re being pinned to the taskbar, I tried that before, and have just tried it again, but still no joy.

I've just noticed that yours says "New contact" , whereas my sole entry says "New Outlook contact". This is very odd.

ADDED LATER:
    And, I've also noticed that your pop-up menu has a divider, whereas mine doesn't:
    [attachment=90397:Untitled.jpg]

Thanks
    I use Windows Live Mail and my right click pop up is as shown:

[attachment=90398:WLM Taskbar.png]

I wonder if your Outlook files have become corrupted. You may have to reinstall this. By the way WLM has become an admirable replacement to Outlook. It's not quite as full featured, but most say it holds it's own compared to Outlook. You may want to check it out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David Paul View Post
    Yes, what you've got is more or less what I used to have! Re being pinned to the taskbar, I tried that before, and have just tried it again, but still no joy.

I've just noticed that yours says "New contact" , whereas my sole entry says "New Outlook contact". This is very odd.

ADDED LATER:
    And, I've also noticed that your pop-up menu has a divider, whereas mine doesn't:
    Does this still happen when you use the default Windows 7 taskbar?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the further suggestions. In the end I decided to reinstall Outlook, but ran into problems. I have a Dell OEM version, so no disks and I had to install a trial version and then enter my activation code. But I couldn't get the trial version to successfully install. So, decided to install Office 2007 instead (for which I have disks). I'm happy enough with 2007, as Office 2010 doesn't seem to add much. But still no "New Outlook appointment" etc items in the right-click menu. Maybe it needs 2010 as well as Windows 7 to work. Or maybe I've turned off a Windows 7 switch somewhere which turns this feature off.

So, ever the pragmatist, I've come up with a similar solution which involves creating appropriate shortcuts (eg, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.appointment, which displays a new appointment form) and pinning these to the Start menu. Works just as well (click Start button then click the shortcut, rather than right-click the Outlook taskbar icon then click the shortcut).

Thanks for all the ideas.