5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking at getting a new PC and am now contemplating how much memory to get - 6GB or 12 GB. According to info on a Japanese website the more memory one has the larger the hard disk drive is required. I have never heard of this relationship. The only thing I can think of is that they are thinking about page file size but that still doesn't seem a requirement. I have a fast 70 GB drive for my system and want to use it - can anyone foresee any difficulties if I go for 12GB ram? Feels like a silly question but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Thanks
    No, I don't see a problem with it at all, although 6 or 8 GBs of RAM is more than plenty for the average user need.
    I have approx 78 GBs alocated to my primary drive and 8 GBs of RAM installed. You will likely not have need for high pagefile usage.
    Even if you did have a heavy pagefile usage, you would be by no means running out of space at 70 GBs anytime soon.

Can you provide a link to the website?

DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Unless you're doing some very intensive apps, you will not have a need for 12 GB RAM. As Clint states, 8 GB is more than enough for the average user, even the above average user. I also would set up an OS partition with about 75 GB and reserve any remaining or another HD for data, etc. 75 GB OS partition is more than enough. Good luck with the purchase.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Check your OS's manufacturer's site to see max amount of RAM you can use.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Any more than 4GB RAM requires a 64bit OS - which you already knew, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. ;-))

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    My OS, Hp Pavilion 32 bit can only take 2x1gb of RAM.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    The only connection I can come up with between disk space and installed RAM is that on a clean install the O/S will allocate 1.5x installed RAM as the page file (Windows 7 may vary here, would need some clarification) and possibly 1.0x installed RAM as a hibernate file. In your case that would be 30GB if you have 12GB of RAM!

Now that normally wouldn't be a problem as is it rare to see a new PC with less than 500GB of storage.

However, you want to use your fast 70GB drive. Firstly you could disable hibernation which would save 12GB and also you could force a fixed size of the page file to say 1 or 2GB, you do the maths!

Note that even with 12GB of RAM installed, you will still need a page file as some programs do rely on it and MS crashdumps also rely on it.

Good luck Cah

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    No, I don't see a problem with it at all, although 6 or 8 GBs of RAM is more than plenty for the average user need.
    Perhaps you are paraphrasing Bill Gates' apocryphal comment, that "640K ought to be enough for anybody"?!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Perhaps you are paraphrasing Bill Gates' apocryphal comment, that "640K ought to be enough for anybody"?!

Only for the moment, but that moment hasn't passed.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.