New Lounger
    Thanks
    Runninng XP Pro with SP3, on a Dell XPS 400,
    When I do a Restart during a program installation, when the Desktop returns I have no cursor or keyboard and have to do a reboot to get full capability back. This started soon after a reformat and happens as I am re-installing my program files. The power controls for UPS also do not work and will not restart the power plugs that are controlled be the computer??
    Using Dell XPS 400, Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8 GHz, 1.9GB Ram, Radeon X300SE 128MB Hypermemory, Acommdata USB HDD 150GB, Windows XP-3

Thanks
    What have you done thus far to troubleshoot this problem?
    I'm assuming a reformat refers to "clean install", yes?

Check "eventvwr.msc" for errors relating to failed operating system components or hardware device start up.
    Look in "devmgmt.msc" for problematic/faulty drivers, specifically, your UPS device, mouse and keyboard.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing to check to see if its startup apps getting in the way of one another. Bring up the task manager if possible (ctrl, alt, del). If that comes up look for explorer.exe in processes and kill it if there (agian if you can). Then under file>new task, type in explorer.exe and hit return. If it starts from there normally, then you just need a startup manager. Otherwise you have something else going on.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Found nothing relevant in the two locations from Clint and the second suggestion from, Byron "explorer" came up fine so I will research a Start-up manager to help me here, Thanks for the replies.
    Using Dell XPS 400, Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8 GHz, 1.9GB Ram, Radeon X300SE 128MB Hypermemory, Acommdata USB HDD 150GB, Windows XP-3

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are the keyboard and mouse and UPS all USB devices?

If you can download and install the latest device drivers for them from their manufacturer's website, do so.

Alternatively, try using alternative USB ports or buy a powered USB hub to connect them to.

If the keyboard and mouse are wireless devices perhaps they need new batteries.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All three are USB devices with the latest drivers installed--On a powered hub--Does not explain why this only happens when I "Restart" but everything works fine when I "Turn Off" the computer and start it up again using the power switch!! The on;y time I use restart or reboot is when I have installed a new program that requires it or when a security update is installed that requires a reboot.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had a similar problem for years. If I let an installation do the restart I Intermittently get a hang. If I just say 'no, I'll restart later', then do a restart myself, everything is fine.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C Ray Nichol View Post
    All three are USB devices with the latest drivers installed--On a powered hub--Does not explain why this only happens when I "Restart" but everything works fine when I "Turn Off" the computer and start it up again using the power switch!! The on;y time I use restart or reboot is when I have installed a new program that requires it or when a security update is installed that requires a reboot.
    The system may not be resetting the USB port/hub properly. Do you have the latest BIOS installed? Does this happen if the devices are connected to the USB port instead of the hub?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all those that replied,

Joe I was finally able to update the BIOS and that took care of the problem, I thought I had done that but remembered the last time I tried to update BIOS from Dell all I could get was their Download manager program finally found a way to get the right file and it worked fine, Thanks again

C Ray

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You're welcome. Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting your solution.

Joe
    Joe