New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know a way to protect Outlook 2007 settings from being changed. I have separate user accounts for the kids but this does not stop them changing the settings on their version of Outlook, deleting email accounts and so fourth.

It would be great if I could set Outlook up to just download send and print emails on their user accounts as that's all they need to do.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Outlook keeps it's settings in the registry - not sure where exactly. Exporting the relevant registry key and then importing it before running Outlook should help.
    Alternatively give the kids their own accounts to break.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul,

However you seem to have misunderstood my post.

As I said previously I have separate accounts set up for the kids. I would not allow them to break my own email account.

Also, since my kids break their email accounts 2 or 3 times a week I am well aware of exactly how to back up and restore outlook settings without resorting to copying registry keys. I wasn't asking how to back up and restore the settings.

I was asking if there is a way of preventing outlook settings from being changed in the first place, thereby saving me the bother of restoring them.

To help with your posts in future Paul, you should take more time to read and understand the question. I would also offer the easiest and safest solution first. Outlook settings can be backed up and restored using windows explorer so going into the registry is an unnecessary risk. Finally if you are going to give advice it does help if you have the necessary knowledge on that subject.

I hope you take this feedback in the way it is intended which is to keep Windows Lounge THE place to go for advice. We already have the rest of the internet for people who want to guess and give untried and untested advice.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I'm afraid the only way to do this is to get into the 2007 Office resource Kit and set up policies. Since you do not have a Windows Server environment, that means finding registry keys and settings. You should look in the deployment section. This will be time consuming and tedious. Some of that can be made easier depending on the operating system you are using.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayward View Post
    Outlook settings can be backed up and restored using windows explorer so going into the registry is an unnecessary risk.
    @Simon -

I didn't know you could back up Outlook settings with Windows Explorer. You can get at some settings via regedit, as JoeP suggests, but Outlook's settings are stored in a hodge-podge of files and Registry keys. For example, if your kids delete an account, bringing it back is considerably more complicated than restoring a handful of registry keys.

JoeP's referral to the ORK is right on, but believe me, it'll be like smashing ants with a sledge hammer.

A suggestion: Outlook's not the best email program for many purposes, and I think this is one of them. Why not give the kids Gmail or Hotmail accounts?
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayward View Post
    Does anyone know a way to protect Outlook 2007 settings from being changed. I have separate user accounts for the kids but this does not stop them changing the settings on their version of Outlook, deleting email accounts and so fourth.
    Not sure what version of Windows you're using, but I wonder whether a Windows user account with more limited privileges might be appropriate?