New Lounger
    Thanks
    Running XP home SP3, fully patched. Office 2002 Pro. F-Secure Internet Security 2010, also checked with SpyBot and Symantec online scan - all clean.

Problems started with PC running slow with constant disk activity. Often got 'not responding' messages although after waiting several minutes the application would sometimes start. This is intermittent - sometimes everything works at normal speed.

Now I have a problem with some icons not working. These are linked to Excel - so icons on desktop or quick launch toolbar that should open spreadsheets just open Excel. Tried creating new shortcuts on the desktop but they do not work - give file not found, yet by opening the icon's properties and clicking on 'find target' it then finds the target! (But does not open it). Icons linked to Word, Access etc work normally.

Clicking on an Excel filename in Explorer opens Excel, but not the file nor even a blank newworksheet - but using file/open from that point enables me to open any Excel worksheet.

Where do I start?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Edwards View Post
    Running XP home SP3, fully patched. Office 2002 Pro. F-Secure Internet Security 2010, also checked with SpyBot and Symantec online scan - all clean.

Problems started with PC running slow with constant disk activity. Often got 'not responding' messages although after waiting several minutes the application would sometimes start. This is intermittent - sometimes everything works at normal speed.

Now I have a problem with some icons not working. These are linked to Excel - so icons on desktop or quick launch toolbar that should open spreadsheets just open Excel. Tried creating new shortcuts on the desktop but they do not work - give file not found, yet by opening the icon's properties and clicking on 'find target' it then finds the target! (But does not open it). Icons linked to Word, Access etc work normally.

Clicking on an Excel filename in Explorer opens Excel, but not the file nor even a blank newworksheet - but using file/open from that point enables me to open any Excel worksheet.

Where do I start?
    try cleaning using ccleaner, do chkdsk, defragment. scan again with AV using other free AV my personal fav. panda cloud, then let's see.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried all that. Defrag runs to an overnight schedule once a week, tried Ccleaner, Glary Utilites, jv16, and EasyCleaner. I run chkdsk weekly.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    It appears that Excel has been corrupted. Can you run a repair of the Office install?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304424

which describes the exact problem, but in Excel 2000. Thought I would try it anyway.

The registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0 must be for Office 2000, as I could only find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0 - so I followed the instructions for that key.

Problem solved - all icons now working.

Now I just have the ongoing 'not responding' problem which seems to affect all programs...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you got the Excel issue resolved. Thanks for posting your solution.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Peter, it could be the amount of free space on C: drive.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    92.6 GB free space on 160GB drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think that I have solved it!

I ran the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT) overnight, but found that it had done very little by the next morning. I used 'What's my computer doing?' to have a look at what else was running and noticed that the F-Secure Scanning Manager (fssm32.exe) was showing constant disk activity.

I disconnected from the Internet and unloaded F-Secure. MRT now ran at speed and without pausing - and found nothing. Other programs also seemed to run normally.

I then uninstalled F-Secure (there is a special uninstallation tool) and re-installed it. Everything now seems to work normally.

I had noticed a couple of weeks ago that F-Secure seemed to be accessing the disk constantly and queried whether this was normal with their help-desk. They replied that it was because F-Secure runs from the hard drive. I have to wonder about wear and tear!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Edwards View Post
    I think that I have solved it!

I ran the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT) overnight, but found that it had done very little by the next morning. I used 'What's my computer doing?' to have a look at what else was running and noticed that the F-Secure Scanning Manager (fssm32.exe) was showing constant disk activity.

I disconnected from the Internet and unloaded F-Secure. MRT now ran at speed and without pausing - and found nothing. Other programs also seemed to run normally.

I then uninstalled F-Secure (there is a special uninstallation tool) and re-installed it. Everything now seems to work normally.

I had noticed a couple of weeks ago that F-Secure seemed to be accessing the disk constantly and queried whether this was normal with their help-desk. They replied that it was because F-Secure runs from the hard drive. I have to wonder about wear and tear!
    Glad you found the second issue. I would not believe the F-Secure help desk. The only time I've ever seen a security product access a disk in that manner was if you let it do a deep scan. Under normal operating conditions, there is no security product that should access your disk constantly.

It is nonsense that just because it is installed on your drive it should access the drive in that manner. Have you checked their forums?

If you can't get a satisfactory answer I recommend you look for a different security suite. If choose to do so, you can search the "Security & Backups" forum for other threads discussing paid & free security software or start one of your own.

Joe
    Joe