Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: colunm headers

Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to make the "Bit Rate" column "stick"
    I'm sure many of you have experienced this. The bit rate column is added, but then disappears when the next folder is opened.
    How can I make it stay for a folder and all sub folders? - so it's still there the next time I open explorer.
    There must be some place in the registry where the default columns are set.

thanks in advance

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    After making this change, have you gone to "Tools, Options and then the View tab and selected "Apply to all folders"?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And if you are appying it and its still not sticking for that folder type, that's a vestigial holdover from the Vista days. The ever-changing details folder view bug was one of the things that drove me batty about Vista. I don't think I've run into it myself on any Win7 systems so far.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    After making this change, have you gone to "Tools, Options and then the View tab and selected "Apply to all folders"?
    I will try that, but I see that it will effect ALL folders on my computer. Not sure that I want that for all folders, especially photos.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    And if you are appying it and its still not sticking for that folder type, that's a vestigial holdover from the Vista days. The ever-changing details folder view bug was one of the things that drove me batty about Vista. I don't think I've run into it myself on any Win7 systems so far.
    Thanks Byron

I'm still using XPpro and have no good reason to move to W7 ..... yet. I have a number of computers, and all display the same "glitch"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvMann View Post
    I will try that, but I see that it will effect ALL folders on my computer. Not sure that I want that for all folders, especially photos.
    Yes, it WILL apply to all folders. If you do not want customization to apply to all folders, then one MUST go and add the wanted changes to each one. But all one needs to is ONE apply to all folders the ANY customization on any folder will be changed to what the current folder settings are. It has been this way since Windows 95.

Isn't that what "All Folders" imply?

There is NO comment about apply ONLY the changes, but is does state that the settings of the current folder will be applied.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks DaveA

I tried it. It should be ok for most folders. I have checked "remember each folders view settings" I think that should make the photo folders come back to the Thumbnail view. We'll see as I move through the folders.
    Thanks again. I am quite aware of most settings. I just didn't try that one.

Harv

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The thumbnail will not come back until you change them to be displayed, because the "Apply to all folders" reset the display to what was in the current folder when you made the Apply to all folders.

The "Remember folders settings" is always reset to the Apply to all folders, and you need to start again in doing the customizations, to be remembered.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again Dave
    I think I'm getting somewhere......
    The "bitrate" column is there for all folders now.
    Then......
    If I change the view to "thumbnails" In my folder "Shared Pictures" ,the same view comes back the next time I open those folders.
    Also, If I open properties, then in the "customize tab I can make further changes, and possible "apply to sub folders".
    Strange thing here is that the "customize" tab is not always there on some of the other folders.
    Any idea on that?

Harv

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So folder can not be customized, provide a FULL path to the ones you are having issues with?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave:
    here is a list of folders an relevance to the "customize " tab.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures
    Both folders. There is no "customize" tab for the properties box (both are shared folders - I think i see a pattern emerging)

Under the Documents folder
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ there are 7 sub folders
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\_DL There is a "customize" tab
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Cardfile There is a "customize" tab
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Jeffs Files There is a "customize" tab
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared music There is no "customize" tab
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared Pictures There is no "customize" tab
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared Video There is no "customize" tab
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Vendor There is a "customize" tab

Under the My Pictures folder
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\CF-Card-1\100OLYMP
    Both the CF-Card-1 and the 100OLYP folders have a "customize" tab available. as do all other folders under the My Pictures folder.

btw
    Really appreciate your help
    Harv

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    On my XP system the "All Users" folder does NOT have My Documents or My Pictures folders.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave The paths are cut and pasted directly from the address bar

Harv

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have no idea what is going, I see not reason for the Allusers to have these folders as it is NOT an account that one can log into.
    But it could be related to your File Sharing, but I do NOT know how it would be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Dave Here is a "shot" of my directory structure. Note the address bar path.
    Hope I did this the right way. If the picture of my dorectories is not shown, please tell me how to do it.
    Thanks
    Harv

[attachment=90328:lounge directories.JPG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast