New Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife still uses Netscape Communicator 4.04 for her e-mail. She's still on a WIN 95 for the OS (yes, I know, but it's been a working combination for many years).
    I'm about to migrate her to a WIN XP machine. My only concern is her e-mail. She's got many years of history and she's a little resistant to change. I'm not concerned about the lack of support for Netscape if one of the newer releases has an e-mail client that is compatable and looks/works similarly to what she has.

Can anyone recommend a better option than installing Netscape 4.79 which is still available and I'm guessing would present the least changes to her?

The browser piece is of no concern - she uses IE now for most sites. It's the e-mail conversion that's key.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Olewine View Post
    She's got many years of history and she's a little resistant to change.
    The closest thing to the Netscape 4 suite as a whole probably is SeaMonkey. For email only, the closest thing would be Mozilla Thunderbird.

More info (no personal experience): Migrate from Mozilla Suite or Netscape to Thunderbird - MozillaZine Knowledge Base.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Olewine View Post
    My wife still uses Netscape Communicator 4.04 for her e-mail. She's still on a WIN 95 for the OS (yes, I know, but it's been a working combination for many years).
    I'm about to migrate her to a WIN XP machine. My only concern is her e-mail. She's got many years of history and she's a little resistant to change. I'm not concerned about the lack of support for Netscape if one of the newer releases has an e-mail client that is compatable and looks/works similarly to what she has.

Can anyone recommend a better option than installing Netscape 4.79 which is still available and I'm guessing would present the least changes to her?

The browser piece is of no concern - she uses IE now for most sites. It's the e-mail conversion that's key.
    A little off topic, but why migrate to an obsolete OS like XP, go all the way to Win 7. Then there are numerous possibilities as Jeff mentioned.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I already have my own laptop with XP and applications already setup and working fine. I'm planning on replacing it with a newer laptop with Win 7 and giving this one to my wife to use. It's been very stable and considerably faster and better than what she's using now. I see no need to upgrade the OS -- It's been virtually trouble free for 3 years already.

Thanks
    Actually, the closest e-mail client to Netscape Communicator was the older Eudora 5.x. It would import directly from Netscape, and the e-mails would read flawlessly in most cases. The current Eudora OSE (not the Qualcom Eudora 7.x) is a form of Thunderbird, and imports less faithfully, but it should work OK. The best results would be if your Windows XP is not yet up to SP3 or IE8, but that ship has most likely already sailed. I have read e-mail and used mailboxes from Eudora 5.2 in Eudora OSE, but I have not tried to go all the way up from Netscape 4 to Eudora OSE. See if it works. Good luck.
    -- Bob Primak --