Thread: Wrong OS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After working on a problem I discussed under "Internet Explorer" titled "IE auto opens", I now have a totally new problem.

After uploading and running the two programs to remove ad-ware, that problem seemed to be resolved. However, the next
    time I booted my computer funny things started to happen.

I have a Dell laptop with both Vista Home OS and XP OS, which I use the Vista OS.
    Now when I boot the system it opens in XP OS and I can not get back to Vista.

Did I do something when I ran the two programs or what is going on here?

How can I reset back to the Vista OS?
    Richard Spring

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSpring View Post
    After working on a problem I discussed under "Internet Explorer" titled "IE auto opens", I now have a totally new problem.

After uploading and running the two programs to remove ad-ware, that problem seemed to be resolved. However, the next
    time I booted my computer funny things started to happen.

I have a Dell laptop with both Vista Home OS and XP OS, which I use the Vista OS.
    Now when I boot the system it opens in XP OS and I can not get back to Vista.

Did I do something when I ran the two programs or what is going on here?

How can I reset back to the Vista OS?
    RSpring,
    Hello.. do you use a "boot manager" like "EasyBCD" to do the "dual boot thing " ? One thing that you can check is go to ( right click)... Computer> Properties>Advanced system settings> Startup and recovery (settings) and select Vista from the "drop down" for the "default" ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred:
    Must be having one of those senior moments in the desert heat.

The "new" boot is NOT XP OS, but a different Vista Home Premium then I normally get.
    This Vista has the standard wallpaper (not my custom one) with a "few" of the program icons, NO apps bar on the right.

It is like a brand new Vista when you first start-up, All the icons and additions I have added over the year are gone.

Right clicking on Computer brought up the System window showing Vista Home Premium SP2.

Any ideas why it went back to the basic start scrren?
    Richard Spring

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds like your user profile got corrupted and you are running under a temp profile. If this is true, you will find that if you modify anything such as adding a shortcut to the desktop, Etc. the next time you reboot you will lose the change.

The easiest way to fix the problem is to create a new user profile and migrate your old profile to it...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the long time to reply.
    Been kind of a mess. I must have wiped some major information when I ran the two ad-ware programs.
    I had to go back to a earlier time by using Restore to a previous date.

This worked somewhat, but still not fully operational. Lost all my Firefox bookmarks and some of my desktop.
    Am thinking a full re-start using the OS boot disk might be my only option.

Saving the files that I have found to flash drive.
    Will let you know the outcome when I finish.
    Richard Spring

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before you wipe that drive, look in C:\Users\your_Old_user_Name and see if there is data there. You may be able to retrieve your favorites and other data from the old profile if it still exists.

I would actually use macrium reflect free to image that drive before you wipe it out and reinstall. You could then mount the image and retrieve any files that were still there from that drive.